Cue the Choir (Final Battle music)

boerngrim

Explorer
I think music definitely adds to the mood. I have used Anvil of Crom for the big fight and the entire Conan soundtrack for background music quite a few times. The Duel of the Fates (Darth Maul vs Obi Wan & Qui Gon) from Phantom Menace has also worked nicely for the climactic BBEG encounter. In one of my past groups the players all new it was time to stop chitchating and focus when the opening notes to Anvil of Crom started. That was my signal that the session was starting.

deco

First Post
Recent video games are a great source of gaming music! I'm in the midst of creating a new campaign and I'm gathering a selection of music to play for certain locations/NPC's/events, etc. Here's some of my personal faves:

Shadow of the Colossus has some great, sweeping songs that would fit an epic battle.

Ico doesn't have many songs, but it has some great tragic/bittersweet ones.

Kingdom Hearts 2 has some good dark or ominous themed songs.

Final Fantasy Tactics and Stella Deus (same musical production team) have tons of varied, solid RPG music...basically enough to fit most any D&D situation.

And finally, the movie Final Fantasy: Advent Children has a good mix of dungeon-ish tunes, and unlike most video game songs, they actually sound like real songs - fast paced and heavy guitar at times, etc.

Last edited:

Mark Hope

Adventurer
boerngrim said:
In one of my past groups the players all new it was time to stop chitchating and focus when the opening notes to Anvil of Crom started. That was my signal that the session was starting.
Same here - it's the opening music for my DS games. Gets everyone's attention right away. Although in the last few sessions that I ran, one of the players has started doing a rather odd dance when the drums start up. Have to put a stop to that... :confused:

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Yes dancing for gaming music...bad idea.

*prefers to get PCs attention with fly swatters* Saves me from using an sledgehammer. :p :)

Corinth

First Post
I agree that the soundtrack to Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children has good choices for ultimate battle music. I prefer "Divinity", both parts bracketing a third track acting as a bridge, and while I don't mind the AC version of "One-Winged Angel" I prefer the orchestral version.

From the soundtrack for Plunkett and Macleane I prefer tracks 16 & 17 played in succession ("Hanging" and "Escape") as a setup and lead-in to such encounters.

Escaflowne's "Dance of Curse" is a great song for climatic battles, and works great with the right setup and lead-in, but it needs the right mood or it fails to have sufficient impact.

Remove ads