Votes: 18 27.7%

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • 5+

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • 10+

Votes: 1 1.5%

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Four that I've actually used, several others that never saw the light of day (I worked in the mobile biz for a long time, and accumulating phones as performance prizes or manufacturer promos is almost inevitable).

First was an early iphone (3s model?), did me well enough for a few years until Apple "upgraded" their software and effectively rendered it useless. So, between that and Apple's insistence on everything being proprietary only to them, never again Apple.

Second was a Samsung which I had for a year or two and then lost on a bus.

Third was an HTC which was excellent in all ways but one: the battery could not be replaced without destroying the phone (I watched the same battery-replace instruction video as the repair guy did, and I fully believe the 95%-against odds he gave of being able to do it and have the phone still work after). So, eight years later, so much for that.

Fourth is another Samsung, which I've had for all of (checks calendar) six days now...so, good timing on the poll! :)

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Zero.
I see no reason to bring a Sending Stone of Infinite Interruptions wherever I go.
My land line can take or send calls, plus having it shuts off the question "Where are you?"

Mallus

Legend
We’re the opposite. Haven’t had a landline in around 15 years.

I’m on smartphone number 4 (defining it as an 1st gen iPhone or better device). Soon to be 5, because I’m aiming to swap my iPhone 8 for a 2nd gen SE while my current phone is still worth something.

When you are sick and want to call a doctor, that's not their needs you are meeting.

The doc needs information to set up an appointment, diagnose problems, prescribe medication, get paid, etc, etc. Communication is a two way street. If there was no need for back-and-forth, you wouldn't be using a phone in the first place.

Khelon Testudo

Cleric of Stronmaus
What was the nature of the inquiry such that "zero" was not a relevant answer? Asking as another who has never owned a phone smarter than a watch.

Last edited:

I'm on my 2nd. I helt out with getting a mobile phone for the longest time, till my friends got me one. A strong one that just wouldn't die (I still have it and it still works). Just a few years ago one of my friends gave me her old smart phone, and again I stuck with that for years. Then came the time where the model was no longer supported by Whatsapp, which I rely on a lot to stay in touch with everyone. So I got myself a 2nd hand Android smartphone that is a pretty recent model. And that is what I use today.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm super curious about what the next thing will be. Wearables of some kind; smartwatches aren't quite enough on their own (too small), and so far nobody's managed to make smartglasses desirable yet.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The doc needs information to set up an appointment, diagnose problems, prescribe medication, get paid, etc, etc.

ALL of which are, in this example, in service of your need to not die of covid-19, or whatever.

Communication is a two way street.

1) Not always. Dialogue is a two-way street. Sometimes, communication is one-direction. If data goes from point A to point B, there has been communication of that information. If you watch the news on TV, they communicate to you, but not the other way.

2) This is a substantial step back from "isn't the use of a cell phone driven by the needs of others". I think the point that, no, it is also driven by your own needs has been made, so, thanks.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'm super curious about what the next thing will be. Wearables of some kind; smartwatches aren't quite enough on their own (too small), and so far nobody's managed to make smartglasses desirable yet.
I’m predicting smartwatches- like smartphones before them- will increase in size. A few tech generations from now and we’ll start seeing a vambrace form show up- like what the Predators wear.

Remove ads