Curious about options from other games

Caedrus

Explorer
I'm starting up a C&C campaign and really like the idea behind skill challenges from 4e. Has anyone tried them? How well did they work with the SIEGE engine? How did you set them up?

Also, I'm trying for a world with a little less emphasis on magic. I especially don't want the cleric to be just a healer, they should get to use other spells while spreading the word of their god. To help with this, I have thought about using reserve hit points ala Iron Heroes. 4e's healing surges are a bit too much but I like the idea of a limited source of self-healing such as reserve points. Has anyone tried these? Would they be unbalancing in place of cure spells?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Being able to swap in healing spells, 3E style, would be a smaller change to the game and would give clerics back their flexibility. Note that Druids and illusionists can also heal in C&C.

Caedrus

Explorer
Being able to swap in healing spells, 3E style, would be a smaller change to the game and would give clerics back their flexibility. Note that Druids and illusionists can also heal in C&C.

This was the first idea I had, being very familiar with 3.5, but that still ties up the cleric's/druid's (have both in the party) spell slots. I was looking for a way to allow them to use spells for other things so they could do their own thing. That's when I thought about reserve points. Since hp are supposed to be things like minor scrapes, wearing down from avoiding blows and whatnot until you hit 0, I figured the reserve points would cover resting up after a fight, getting your second wind, or binding your wounds or using healing herbs ala Aragorn in Fellowship of the Ring. That's kind of where my head is at with this.

wolfpunk

First Post
I like the reserve point concept from Iron Heroes when I played Iron Heroes. It is simple and I think melds well with the Castle and Crusades feel. I think it would work well.

I agree 4e healing surges don't seem to have as natural a feel when applied to Castles and Crusades.

Let us know how it works if you decide to use it.

Caedrus

Explorer
I feel the same way about 4e healing surges, wolfpunk. I think it's because you get so many of them. I want a little more low-powered feel.

Tonight is game night so we shall see how it goes!

Remove ads