Curmudgeon's Corner: So, what's the deal with Critical Role?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Is professional chef the only profession where people rank their nationality over a chef’s experience and qualifications? Does that happen to physicists?

I suspect you'll find that a physicist that's American, Japanese, or German will be viewed a bit more positively than one from, say Argentina. nationality comes with preconcieved notions about educational background from the country in question.

And like Dennis Leary says... "Irish... cuisine?"

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I suspect you'll find that a physicist that's American, Japanese, or German will be viewed a bit more positively than one from, say Argentina. nationality comes with preconcieved notions about educational background from the country in question.

But would someone on a message board dismiss a physicist’s work simply because they were Argentinian?

(and if so, there’s a word for that)

and like Dennis Leary says... "Irish... cuisine?"

I’ve had some delicious meals in Ireland and some horrible meals in France. National stereotypes aren’t a good thing, and in the modern age are generally not true; and also not great optics when coming from the most powerful, privileged nation on Earth. Always punch up! :)

[Edit — and I’m pontificating far more than I mean to! Sorry about that! It’s all meant good-naturedley! Waaay off topic though!]

Last edited:

Celebrim

Legend
Always punch up! :)

If you insist.

You are way over the line here and if anyone else was acting this way they'd likely get removed from the thread.

You have distorted the clear meaning of what I was saying in favor of some sort of made up position that was never remotely connected to what I said, and you are now engaged in various personal slanders.

"If an American chef told me he could do better fish and chips than me, I’d probably agree he could."

Sure, I'd definitely agree Paul Hollywood could bake better than I do, but that's not the assertion he made or one that did or would have annoyed me. If Paul Hollywood asserted he was a better baker than me, that would be a totally defensible position. But what Paul Hollywood did was dismiss an entire country, it's cuisine, and it's cooks - not just me, but every pie cooking grandma and chef in the country. What he said was equivalent to the rude, insensitive and close-minded American who goes to Italy, and then complains how the food is better at Olive Garden and how no one can in the country can make a decent 'spaghetti'.

"Is professional chef the only profession where people rank their nationality over a chef’s experience and qualifications?"

Paul Hollywood's nationality was not something I ever challenged so do not continue to flatter yourself with the idea that I was. No one, least of all me, has questioned his ability to bake on the grounds of his nationality. Indeed, the comment in question that questioned a nations ability to bake was his, and not mine. But in whatever mood you are in, you've decided to prove that I'm the one being racist or whatever you are insinuating.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
If you insist.

You are way over the line here and if anyone else was acting this way they'd likely get removed from the thread.

You have distorted the clear meaning of what I was saying in favor of some sort of made up position that was never remotely connected to what I said, and you are now engaged in various personal slanders.

"If an American chef told me he could do better fish and chips than me, I’d probably agree he could."

Sure, I'd definitely agree Paul Hollywood could bake better than I do, but that's not the assertion he made or one that did or would have annoyed me. If Paul Hollywood asserted he was a better baker than me, that would be a totally defensible position. But what Paul Hollywood did was dismiss an entire country, it's cuisine, and it's cooks - not just me, but every pie cooking grandma and chef in the country. What he said was equivalent to the rude, insensitive and close-minded American who goes to Italy, and then complains how the food is better at Olive Garden and how no one can in the country can make a decent 'spaghetti'.

"Is professional chef the only profession where people rank their nationality over a chef’s experience and qualifications?"

Paul Hollywood's nationality was not something I ever challenged so do not continue to flatter yourself with the idea that I was. No one, least of all me, has questioned his ability to bake on the grounds of his nationality. Indeed, the comment in question that questioned a nations ability to bake was his, and not mine. But in whatever mood you are in, you've decided to prove that I'm the one being racist or whatever you are insinuating.
I apologise. I was merely (intending) to be flippant, not to upset you.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I barely watch TV because it doesn't hold my interest, so shows like CR aren't on my list. I gave it the old college try, three separate times. I also don't like audiobooks - they go tooo slow.

But my kids love to watch things. They put them on in the background and work on art or whatever, and still get it.

shrug Maybe it's generational. Not in a "they are doing it wrong" (aimed at either generation), but expectations of pacing and amount of attention given have grown with different context.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
And jelly is jam in your language, right? It sounds pretty horrid to me. But yes, I have heard that Americans eat that.
It’s delicious. And it’s not one of those “because you grew up with it” things. Every person from outside the US I’ve introduced to a PBJ has been absolutely delighted by them.

Even better toasted!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases