Curmudgeon's Corner: So, what's the deal with Critical Role?

Hussar

Legend
Hrmmm... on one hand, the colleges could be so tone deaf as to put out a scare video that is obviously wrong (a second invitation counts as sexual harassment) OR, someone could be ... mistaken about the message and content of the video and is posting it online.

I know which scenario I find a LOT more plausible.

Having role models in the hobby who set a high bar absolutely does not stop people from filling the same role as that person even a tiny fraction as much as it inspires folks to fill that role.

It’s true in sports, in acting, in pretty much every facet of life. People who set a high bar inspire others to try and do the same.

Barrier to entry is a real thing. And it absolutely affects who enters a hobby.

The barrier to entry to be DM in 1982 was very low - some graph paper, the monster manual, and a couple hours before the next game session. Which is why millions of young kids played the game back then (it's also why it was common for kids to play 3-4 times a week then too).

I know people who did DM back in school in the 80s, but after immersing themselves in the world of online advice channels and lives streams today, lack the confidence to DM. They feel they need hours and hours of preparation, and need to master a host of skills they didn't think about when they were 15, in order to be a good DM today. Those higher expectations haven't made them better DMs - it has made them too intimidated to DM at all.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Barrier to entry is a real thing. And it absolutely affects who enters a hobby.

The barrier to entry to be DM in 1982 was very low - some graph paper, the monster manual, and a couple hours before the next game session. Which is why millions of young kids played the game back then (it's also why it was common for kids to play 3-4 times a week then too).

I know people who did DM back in school in the 80s, but after immersing themselves in the world of online advice channels and lives streams today, lack the confidence to DM. They feel they need hours and hours of preparation, and need to master a host of skills they didn't think about when they were 15, in order to be a good DM today. Those higher expectations haven't made them better DMs - it has made them too intimidated to DM at all.
And I know dozens of DMs who are new to DM since watching AqInc, CR, and other shows that set a high bar for what a DM can be.

Just like in sports, the folks who just get discouraged exist, they’re just vastly outweighed by the people who are inspired.

aramis erak

Legend
Second, inviting people to hang out for a group activity isn’t the same thing at all, and better awareness of sexual harassment is absolutely not decreasing the amount of time youths spend hanging out with friends.
My daughters and their friends disagree. It's reduced their social circles considerably, moving from a state with a weak definition to one with a strong one. Especially since the trainings given in the schools equate all invitations to private social activities as equivalent whether or not they are intended for romantic or sexual purposes. NPR has even discussed the reduction in unorganized social activities in the younger age group.

It's a social dampener, and it means social circles are smaller, and more self-contained. If it weren't for organized play, the elder wouldn't have any friends at all, and the younger would have only a couple.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
And I know dozens of DMs who are new to DM since watching AqInc, CR, and other shows that set a high bar for what a DM can be.

Just like in sports, the folks who just get discouraged exist, they’re just vastly outweighed by the people who are inspired.

I don't think that people get discouraged from sports by watching professional sports (some might), I would bet that people actually play more from watching pro-sports, precisely because the pro-sports act as an advertisement for sports in general.

CR is a net positive in the same way, it's pro-D&D:

A live weekly show, where a band of professional voice actors improvise, role-play and roll their way through an epic Dungeons & Dragons campaign.

It has added to D&D's popularity, probably the only admonition is that it is very slick, a Hollywood production, with professional actors and directors; improv.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
My daughters and their friends disagree. It's reduced their social circles considerably, moving from a state with a weak definition to one with a strong one. Especially since the trainings given in the schools equate all invitations to private social activities as equivalent whether or not they are intended for romantic or sexual purposes. NPR has even discussed the reduction in unorganized social activities in the younger age group.

It's a social dampener, and it means social circles are smaller, and more self-contained. If it weren't for organized play, the elder wouldn't have any friends at all, and the younger would have only a couple.
Sure, man. 👍

It has added to D&D's popularity, probably the only admonition is that it is very slick, a Hollywood production, with professional actors and directors; improv.

Exactly. I suspect a tiny number of people may indeed be discouraged by their group failing to live up to CR or the like, but for every one of those there are probably a dozen who see what RPGs are and realize that they could do that, and that it looks fun. It demystifies RPGs and popularizes them in a powerful way.

Khelon Testudo

Cleric of Stronmaus
I follow Crit Role and some computer game let's plays on 1.25x or even 1.5x. I listen to most 'explainer' videos at 1.25x. People talk too slow, at least compared to text reading. And I usually browse forums or art sites while I do so.
I think the following CR has garnered shows just how good it has been for the hobby. There are likely a few people who follow the show who can't or won't play D&D. It seems that D&D Beyond at least thinks they're in the minority, given how it has embraced CR.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases