D&D 5E Curse of Strahd and Paladin's Divine Sense

persippe

Villager
Hi,

sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find anything related.

I'll start playing Curse of Strahd tomorrow evening, and we all have (DM and players) many doubts about the Divine Sense paladin classe features.

It explicity says that using it in 60 feet of Strahd (or any other celestial/fiend/undead), you'll know it's location and tpe, though not it's identity....

DM says he didn't find any modification in the adventure.

So it's enough that when we'll eventually meet Strahd, our paladin will activate Divine Sense and know for sure it's an undead? (coming from AD&D 2nd ed. Ravenloft, it sounds weird to me)

thanks for your answers

Nick

Bayushi Seikuro

First Post
I haven't read it, but I remember Ravenloft back in the day had MANY MANY modifications to special abilities, specifically ones that would allow you to detect evil or to basically locate the source of the danger. The demiplane loved chaos and evil and loved tricking you. Or maybe I'm just sadistic.

Oofta

Legend
As the power states, you would know there were undead in the area, but not specifics and it's blocked by total cover. I wouldn't be surprised if Strahd had special abilities, but they are just giving an example of the most widely known vampire from D&D's history.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
I'll start playing Curse of Strahd tomorrow evening, and we all have (DM and players) many doubts about the Divine Sense paladin classe features.

It explicity says that using it in 60 feet of Strahd (or any other celestial/fiend/undead), you'll know it's location and tpe, though not it's identity....
Correct.

...So what's the problem?

persippe

Villager
As the power states, you would know there were undead in the area, but not specifics and it's blocked by total cover. I wouldn't be surprised if Strahd had special abilities, but they are just giving an example of the most widely known vampire from D&D's history.

The power states: "you know the location of any celestial, fiend or undead within 60 feet of you that is not behind total cover"

RAW I understand that the DM can never EVER put in front of you a disguised fiend or undead, which could be fine in Forgotten Realms but weird in Ravenloft, IMHO.

persippe

Villager
Correct.

...So what's the problem?

The problem is that in previous edition of Ravenloft, powers and spells were modified so that the players could never know for sure if Strahd, Azalin, Lord Soth etc. were undead.

I'd like to understand if they really dropped all this aspect

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
The problem is that in previous edition of Ravenloft, powers and spells were modified so that the players could never know for sure if Strahd, Azalin, Lord Soth etc. were undead.

I'd like to understand if they really dropped all this aspect

Yes, they did. They don't want different worlds to alter the standard rules too much. Even the Outer Planes (which in 2e had pages and pages of spell alterations, magic item alterations, cleric caster level modifications, etc.) just have "one simple trait that players notice, that doesn't create too much complication at the gaming table, and that's easy to remember" (DMG 43).

Though Strahd is a strong enough wizard to cast Nystul's magic aura if that's important to you.

Last edited:

Bayushi Seikuro

First Post
Yes, they did. They don't want different worlds to alter the standard rules too much. Even the Outer Planes (which in 2e had pages and pages of spell alterations, magic item alterations, cleric caster level modifications, etc.) just have "one simple trait that players notice, that doesn't create too much complication at the gaming table, and that's easy to remember" (DMG 43).

Though Strahd is a strong enough wizard to cast Nystul's magic aura if that's important to you.

Well, the confusion for older players is that in previous editions, even if you went by the 5e rule that planes only have 'one special trait', Ravenloft's special trait was that the realm itself was conscious and could make detection/augury/identification spells give whatever result the realm chose to. For instance, Detect Evil was absolutely useless because it was staring into the sun -- EVERYWHERE around you was evil, and detected as such.

Without having read it yet, I think the confusion is why they would change such a core setting element.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Well, the confusion for older players is that in previous editions, even if you went by the 5e rule that planes only have 'one special trait', Ravenloft's special trait was that the realm itself was conscious and could make detection/augury/identification spells give whatever result the realm chose to. For instance, Detect Evil was absolutely useless because it was staring into the sun -- EVERYWHERE around you was evil, and detected as such.

Without having read it yet, I think the confusion is why they would change such a core setting element.

This was not a thing in the original. Remember, this is a remake of a 1e dungeon module, not a return to a 2e campaign setting.

Satyrn

First Post
If someone in your group doesn't already know that Strahd's a vampire, then the paladin's ability detecting it in him ought to be played up as a "moment."

It's a good way to get that info to the players. Am excellent way really, since it's coming from the players themselves instead of being fed to them by an NPC, or just stumbling onto it.

Remove ads