CURSE OF STRAHD Is Out Today (In Some Stores)

HawaiiSteveO

Blistering Barnacles!
Apologies I think I double posted this . . !

Is anyone planning to use the DDAL series for their (non-AL) home group rather than CoS? Will the hardcover book be needed to run the AL adventures?

Guessing many people running the DDAL series will be buying CoS anyway!

FitzTheRuke

Legend
It's the 4th or the 15th depending if your store is a preferred store or not. Next week is neither of those things, though!

That's Curse of Strahd. He's asking about the Tarrokka Deck, which doesn't seem to be out yet.
I own a Core Store, and we've got the Adventure (Seems great, from what I've read) but the Tarrokka Decks have not shown up yet.
Everyone at the distribution level seems to be unsure, but expect it on the 15th.

There are downloadable PDFs on the WotC page. Strangely, they seem unfinished - they're black and white, and the font seems to be missing from the last few.

I wonder if they'll be better later?

Remathilis

Legend
Okay spoil me.

* what are the other hooks besides the Mists sweep you up?
* what does it say about magic in Barovia?
* what is the racial tolerance look like? Can elves, tieflings and dragonborn go around unmolested?

Okay spoil me.

* what are the other hooks besides the Mists sweep you up?
* what does it say about magic in Barovia?
* what is the racial tolerance look like? Can elves, tieflings and dragonborn go around unmolested?

Let's see if someone else beats me to it:

1) You could be sent by your faction to hunt werewolves, get a mysterious letter in a tavern, or meet a group of travelers who tell you an elaborate story about a dark prince.
2) Most of the alterations are cosmetic - mage hand produces a skeletal hand, for example. Dimensional spells do not function, and raise dead and the like have a nasty side effect. The rest of the traditional spell alterations from previous editions are not present.
3) It mentions that Barovians are aware of other races, but unfamiliar with them. "Scorned, feared and shunned" is a quote.

Klaus

First Post
The thing I find most intriguing about the book is that it uses Lysaga as an actual entity in the adventure, but yet doesn't include the Lysaga Hill Ruins as a location... despite being quite prominent in both Expedition To Castle Ravenloft and [MENTION=607]Klaus[/MENTION]'s Fair Barovia article for Dungeon (both of which are listed as sources of inspiration in the front of the Curse of Strahd book.)

As that location is perhaps the closest "adventure site" to the Village of Barovia, I might go ahead and add it back in as a locale, especially considering I'm going to start my campaign at level 1 and don't want to just use Death House as the single leveller to get the players to 3. Perhaps the coven that is used there in EtCR might be a suitable addition to the adventure for my lower level players (to get them out of the village proper but before making the long trek past Lake Zarovich where the rest of the locales can be found.)

If you're using Lysaga Hill as a location for 1st-level characters, the ruins there can once again serve as a hideout for bandits, possibly attracted by the legend of Red Lukas. If so, PCs might get a glimpse of a dark figure overlooking their battle with the bandits, as Strahd is keeping a close eye on any criminals that might not only defy his rule, but also evoke the memory of one of his earliest enemies. PCs that deal successfully with bandits might even (temporarly) gain Strahd's favor.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases