• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Custom Weapon group: Aquatic.

Puxido

First Post
Whether your training is amongst pirates, privateers, traders or so forth, you have trained on the high seas for most of your career, and as such your proficiency with weapons commonly found aboard a ship has shown itself true.

These weapons include:

Handaxe, throwing axe, longsword, scimitar, shortsword, longbow, light crossbow, hand crossbow, underwater light crossbow, underwater heavy crossbow, whip, club, rapier, falchion, harpoon, trident, net, light mace, cutlass, and sickle.

If firearms exist within your campaign, the following add onto the group.

Blunderbuss, axe musket, double-barreled pistol, dragon pistol, musket culverin, and pistol.

If advanced firearms exist in your campaign, the following add onto the group.

Shotgun, double-barreled shotgun, rifle, and revolver.

The aquatic weapon group also includes certain siege weapons, if your campaign does not include firearms, the group includes the Ballista, if your campaign includes firearms, the Ballista is removed, and replaced with the canon.

Last edited:

Puxido

First Post
Does anyone have any comments? This is the first weapon group I've ever made, I want to make sure it's fine.

Ramaster

Adventurer
Seems ok by me. Weapon groups don't have a LOT of mechanical weight in the game, so don't expect them to be that much relevant.

BigVanVader

First Post
Man, those aren't aquatic weapons, although if you wanted to make a separate 'pirate' class, it could probably be proficient with some of those weapons.

I thought these were gonna be weapons that were useful underwater. Like trident, harpoon gun, etc.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Yeah, agreed with BigVanVader, an aquatic weapons should be limited to weapons usable underwater. To try and fit every possible weapon that could be used aboard ship, you just select every weapon from every weapon group and dump them into the pirates weapon group, as I don't see a reason that any weapon wouldn't fit. Granted looking at the argument that Paizo thinks cutlasses are shorter weapons that would be able to negotiate the rigging in the way of combat, still, though it would be "lethal" to tied ropes, there's no real reason a pirate couldn't use a greatsword if he wanted. Even if you could create a believable shipboard weapon group, I wouldn't mix that with an aquatic weapon group as they are apples and oranges.

Puxido

First Post
Man, those aren't aquatic weapons, although if you wanted to make a separate 'pirate' class, it could probably be proficient with some of those weapons.

I thought these were gonna be weapons that were useful underwater. Like trident, harpoon gun, etc.

I see your point, and I think there's already a pirate class (I could be wrong though). If you want more aquatic feel, you could add the Autograpnel from the technology guide to the list, or modify it so it seems more like a harpoon gun, I would just give it the stats of a normal crossbow plus the special abilities of the Autograpnel. I would also add all underwater crossbows, though I didn't want this to seem op, though they would fit. I would like to make a harpoon gun and add it to the list, but I wanted to work on a modern weapons list first before I did that. Weapons I was working on to add to the list were "The Judge" (a revolver that shot shotgun shells, has a maximum range of 5 feet, and had scatter quality. Could be used in two hands as a martial weapon but in one with Exotic weapon proficiency: "The Judge"), "Combat Shotgun" (A shotgun with 25 capacity, but as a rule could only shoot 5 per round with the same penalties as any other gun that has a capacity), "Tripple-Barreled Shotgun", "Revolving Shotgun" (A shotgun with a revolver cylinder, 5 capacity), and my personal two favorites, "Roman candle" (a "Firearm", that is literally a caped pipe filled with black powder and a ball baring and fuse. Is treated as an early firearm and misfires on a natural roll of 5 or less.), and the "Potato Cannon" (Not as the name suggests, this Weapon normally fires Ball barrings or alchemical charges, such as alchemists fire and acid. Counts as a siege weapon for proficiency, and requires a full round action and a move action to fully load, the full round to but the charge or barring in the cannon, and a move action to add a new air tank, is a two handed weapon and requires two hands to reload. Is not affected by the quick draw feat.)
I could make up a few new types of Aquatic firearms while I'm at it, "Advanced firearms may be made aquatic, meaning that they can be fired and reloaded underwater without penalties, usually rifles, and cost about 1/4 more than usual Firearms do." they would probably be added to the list as well. I also have the custom weapon material "Aluminum bronze: Acts like Bronze, but is not effected by corrosion or rust affects that would normally damage the material. This includes being immune to the Rust Monsters ability to rust metal objects. Perhaps I could also make custom rules for a Ballistic Knife, and thus another variation for an Aquatic Ballistic Knife.

Remove ads