Cyberpunk Edgerunners Mission Kit Announced

R Talsorian Games recently announced a new Cyberpunk RED expansion: Cyberpunk Edgerunners Mission Kit. This boxed set is the first official tabletop RPG expansion putting players into the world of the Cyberpunk 2077 video game as well as the popular anime on Netflix. The Cyberpunk Edgerunners Mission Kit is described as including “essential rules as well as lore about the Dark Future, Night...

R Talsorian Games recently announced a new Cyberpunk RED expansion: Cyberpunk Edgerunners Mission Kit. This boxed set is the first official tabletop RPG expansion putting players into the world of the Cyberpunk 2077 video game as well as the popular anime on Netflix. The Cyberpunk Edgerunners Mission Kit is described as including “essential rules as well as lore about the Dark Future, Night City, the Edgerunners team, and more!” With this project, fans will be able to game the streets of Night City in 2077 with a GM and dice just as Mike Pondsmith intended when he developed the original RPG.

cover-desktop@1x-e6d6aaa1.jpg

The Cyberpunk RPG, in each of its editions, is the quintessential game set in a dystopian future of “lowlife and high tech,” as William Gibson described the genre. While Cyberpunk 2020 is still a gaming staple that supported great sessions for decades, the latest edition, Cyberpunk RED, is only two years old (November 14, 2020), yet an Adamantine Best Seller at DriveThruRPG. Bringing together creator Mike Pondsmith and the hype around the initial release of the Cyberpunk 2077 video game, RED takes place in 2045 and offers the cleanest, best realized version of the Cyberpunk ruleset. Well-considered, beautifully laid out, and written to be both old school and new player friendly, RED is a great addition to tabletop.

The newest edition of the game dropped at the same time as the video game. Even with the software glitches, fans want to play in 2077, especially after the release of Edgerunners, a series with a 100% Tomatometer and 96% audience score at Rotten Tomatoes. The hype is real and even inspired Bell of Lost Souls to publish an article bringing Edgerunners to 5e, which resulted in controversy even as it demonstrates the gaming public’s desire to see Edgerunners available for tabletop. The Cyberpunk Edgerunners Mission Kit is the response to that demand offering your gaming table the world and opportunity to roll alongside edgerunners like David Martinez, Lucy, Rebecca, and Maine. R Talsorian’s announcement about their new boxed set opens the door to convert fans from the video game to tabletop.

Cyberpunk Red Jumpstart Kit.jpg

I asked J. Gray, Cyberpunk RED Project Lead, if the Edgerunners Mission Kit would be a product like the Cyberpunk RED Jumpstart Kit, a standalone boxed set that introduces the world and gaming system. J. Gray explained it will be a standalone box set. "We know 2077 and Edgerunners have both brought new fans to the Dark Future and we want there to be a recognizable, easy way to transition into the tabletop RPG and maybe even TTRPGs in general."

Polygon stated that there’s a "2077-themed sourcebook" in the pipeline. When I asked if the tabletop RPG version of Cyberpunk 2077 would backwards compatible with Cyberpunk RED or be a new edition, J said that the current plan for the Mission Kit is a sourcebook, not a complete game, so it will be played using Cyberpunk RED. I wanted to know more, but its early days on the project and J was limited on what he could share. “We'll have more information on what will be inside the Cyberpunk Edgerunners Mission Kit in the future. No spoilers yet.”

Cyberpunk Edgerunners Netflix.png

While details are limited beyond what the press release and J. Gray shared, we can look at a past release and make some educated guesses about what the Mission Kit will offer. Based on the Cyberpunk Red Jumpstart Kit, RED’s current introductory boxed set, we might be able to glean some elements of the content. The Jumpstart Kit is a boxed set with an MSRP of $29.99 for the physical edition or $10 for the PDF version. For that price, you’ll get a softcover Rule Book (44 pages plus the cover), a World Book (52 pages plus the cover), an “Ez Reference” sheet that summarizes rules akin to a four-page GM screen, a set of dice (2d10 and 4d6), two double-sided fold out battle maps, six pre-gen character sheets, a sheet of cardboard standees and plastic stands. The boxed set has everything you need from rules to a setting book to dice and characters for you and your players to get into the Dark Future and explore Cyberpunk RED. While past performance is not a guarantee of future success, I believe it’s safe to bet that R Talsorian will offer a boxed set with a lot of bang for the buck with their upcoming Mission Kit.

The Cyberpunk 2077 video game continues to evolve the world that Mike Pondsmith introduced in 1988. The Cyberpunk Edgerunners Mission Kit and eventual Cyberpunk 2077 sourcebook mean a new day is coming for tabletop roleplayers in Night City. Add to that CD PROJEKT RED’s announcement about the Cyberpunk 2077 video game sequel, and this new boxed set and book are well-placed to widen the Cyberpunk RED fanbase. Cyberpunk 2077 is coming in the form of a starter boxed set and sourcebook, two items that are my top most wanted RPG products for 2023.

Cyberpunk RED Easy Mode.jpg

If you’re interested in trying out Cyberpunk RED, check out the free Cyberpunk RED Easy Mode which has enough rules, history, pre-gens, and an adventure to get you into 2045. To keep up with the Cyberpunk Edgerunners Mission Kit, you can follow R Talsorian Games on Twitter (@RTalsorianGames) and Instagram (@officialrtalsoriangames).

logo-edgerunners@1x-56e5ac9c.jpg

Egg Embry participates in the OneBookShelf Affiliate Program, Noble Knight Games’ Affiliate Program, and is an Amazon Associate. These programs provide advertising fees by linking to DriveThruRPG, Noble Knight Games, and Amazon.

Egg Embry

Egg Embry

MGibster

Legend
I started a Cyberpunk Red campaign a few weeks back, and I have to admit that I'm not very enamored with the setting. Quite honestly, I'd rather be playing Cyberpunk 2020. For a lot of people, their first exposure to the R. Talsorian's cyberpunk world is going to come from the video game Cyberpunk 2077 or the Cyberpunk: Edgerunners anime on Netflix. Those folks coming to to the table top RPG through those avenues are a bit surprised because Red is a lot different. I'm going to consider purchasing this new expansion for Red, but I'm not positive yet.

R. Talsorian still has some Red supplements in the pipeline, so I guess The Edgerunners Mission Kit will take some time to be released. I'm really happy with the Time of the Red setting, but I cannot get enough Cyberpunk goodies.

Really curious to see how the 2077 tech plays with the Cyberpunk Red rule set.

Paragon Lost

Terminally Lost
I'm in the same state of mind as Seth Skorkowsky in regards to Cyberpunk Red. There is a lot to like but there are some serious blunders/misses in my opinion. Basically I'm mixed about how I feel about it over all. Seth did a great video about it this year which I appreciated since it confirmed for me that I wasn't alone on how I felt about it.

Vincent55

Adventurer
Cyberpunk settings are many, what you have to ask is what does this bring to the table how is it differant than say 2020, or genefunk, even carbon 2185, low life 2090, or other books like ultramodern redux 5e which you could do much more with as a toolbox. I have the video game and seen the anime which i liked had more action and fewer brains than a ghost in the shell which none have really topped for me. Really this feels generic on many levels as if they try but don't capture all of what it could be, but might help get some players into RPGs or turn them off completely. For me i prefer a book that i can create my own setting, not run someone elses idea of what it is or i guess you could use the bones to build your own game on in that case it may sell. I am still a bit bias as i love the Ultramodern 5e books and the designer and how he does the rules.

I have said in the past the future of many TTRPG franchises run the path of the multimedia franchises. Today no-roleplayers unknown the true origin of the setting is a TTRPG. In a near future videogame studios and streaming services could start to acquire IPs created by RPG publishers.

It is curious, but the original TTRPG for the current standards, it is (neonpunk) retro/vintage. It is other example of sci-fi getting old poorly, because they didn't predicted the mobiles, the laptops, trangenic technology or new materials as the graphene.

Other trope in the cyberpunk is the evil megacorporation. Of course in your stories the capitalist megacorporations can be the "evil empire", but it may be a too simple manicheism. I am not going to defend the "corporatocracies", but the defenders of the true free-market and the economic Austrian school are the first ones who don't want corporatocracies. I mean against the abuses by oligarchies the answers can't be a state oligarchy, a economic totally controlled by the state, because this don't worry about to do the best work to avoid rivals steal clientele or suffer the consequences of their actions because we are who will pay for the broken plates.

After buying my book of Eclipse Phase RPG I miss the transhumanist technology of mind-upload and digital immortality.

I wonder if we are going to see a Shadowrun AAA videogame.

What if in a cyberpunk setting the megacorporations could build "arcologies" (= super- skycrappers) and these worked as "microstates" (totally independence with their own sovereign).

Kamiwaga: Neon Dinasty is practically cyberpunk with magic. New Capena can be also as a cyberpunk setting if you add cibernetic implants.

What if in a cyberpunk setting the megacorporations could build "arcologies" (= super- skycrappers) and these worked as "microstates" (totally independence with their own sovereign).
In 2020 and 2077, not so much during the Time of the Red, Megacorps enjoy a great deal of extraterritoriality fot their installations and personal. In the height of their power they were virtually their own states.

In 2020 and 2077, not so much during the Time of the Red, Megacorps enjoy a great deal of extraterritoriality fot their installations and personal. In the height of their power they were virtually their own states.

MGibster

Legend
Cyberpunk settings are many, what you have to ask is what does this bring to the table how is it differant than say 2020, or genefunk, even carbon 2185, low life 2090, or other books like ultramodern redux 5e which you could do much more with as a toolbox. I have the video game and seen the anime which i liked had more action and fewer brains than a ghost in the shell which none have really topped for me.

There's the cyberpunk sub-genre of science fiction and then there's the Cyberpunk role playing game which has its own distinct setting.

Cyberpunk (1988) - Set in Night City, Free State of California in 2013.
Cyberpunk 2020 (1991) - Set in Night City, Free State of California in 2020
Cyberpunk V3.0 (2005) - Set in Night City, Free State of California in the 2030s
Cyberpunk Red (2020) - Set in Night City, Free State of California in 2045

The setting has changed a bit over the years. In V3.0 and Red, the game takes place in the aftermath of the 4th Corporate War, the net as we knew it in 2020 is gone, and the power of the corporations have been curtailed quite a bit (they're still powerful though). What Cyberpunk the RPG brings to the table that no other RPG brings is its setting.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads