Cyberpunk RED Has A November 14 Release Date

After COVID-related delays, we have a release date for Cyberpunk RED! The 456-page hardcover is coming out in November for the price of $60. You can get the PDF on the 14th of November, and the hardcover on the 19th. You can read about the contents of the book here.

After COVID-related delays, we have a release date for Cyberpunk RED! The 456-page hardcover is coming out in November for the price of $60.

RTG-CPR-Core-Cover.jpg

You can get the PDF on the 14th of November, and the hardcover on the 19th.

You can read about the contents of the book here.

The new edition is tempting. There are elements of the cyberpunk genre I really like. But it actually took a campaign with a specific theme to it to get me into the game. Our first (short) campaign was the traditional on-the-edge mercenary team of cyberpunks and I had a hard time finding motivation. Then our friend started a cops campaign. All the PCs were cops in our local city (Madison), using landmarks we knew but punked up. Crazy TV Lenny was now the mayor, the Capitol dome was dwarfed by corporate high-rises, our precinct was in the old Armory on the UW Campus, etc. And he had good NPCs like Whiskey Dick Halsey and Duty Sergeant Cecil. It really made the game for me.
Punking up tour hometown is a fun idea. I did that in an old Champions superhero game set in Sacramento CA in the year 2010 {game ran in 1984...). The moon was being mined, with a UN-controlled mass driver catapult, Galactus The Younger was killed in 1964 when he tried to eat Earth; his death scream started both the mutant rise / Genocide / Project Wideawake story and summoned alien scouts by the score. . . . and the heroes, basically a local franchise of The Avengers, operated out of the Governor's Mansion that Jerry Brown refuses to live in, fought, had a lot of their fights at local landmarks, and took a trip to the moon to help UNTIL stop Genocide from trying to take over the mass driver.

Local color matters.

Dias Ex Machina

Publisher / Game Designer
Ultramodern redux 5e lacks the Cyberpunk setting. And it's 5e, so it's not Cyberpunk, so pass.

The only 5e game I'm looking forward to is Stargate. The classes only go up to level 5, than its classless after that.
Cyberpunk is a genre not defined by any one ruleset. Ultramodern5-REDUX has no setting at all because it's a universal system, but it does absolutely offer equipment, cybernetics, robots, and vehicles so it can fit that mold if needed. NeuroSpasta is a cyberpunk setting inspired by Ghost in the Shell and is also 5E.

Dias Ex Machina

Stacie GmrGrl

Adventurer
Cyberpunk is a genre not defined by any one ruleset. Ultramodern5-REDUX has no setting at all because it's a universal system, but it does absolutely offer equipment, cybernetics, robots, and vehicles so it can fit that mold if needed. NeuroSpasta is a cyberpunk setting inspired by Ghost in the Shell and is also 5E.
That's true, cyberpunk is not defined by its rules but is defined more by its setting. UMRedux5e is not cyberpunk but NeuroSpasta is.

I'm not saying UMRedux5e is bad... In fact it's one of the very very few 5e derived products I like. I despise (if there's another word that goes beyond despise you can insert it here) D&D 5e so for me to like anything 5e related it has to be something that makes the system it's own.

Dias Ex Machina

That's true, cyberpunk is not defined by its rules but is defined more by its setting. UMRedux5e is not cyberpunk but NeuroSpasta is.

I'm not saying UMRedux5e is bad... In fact it's one of the very very few 5e derived products I like. I despise (if there's another word that goes beyond despise you can insert it here) D&D 5e so for me to like anything 5e related it has to be something that makes the system it's own.
Well, thank you for that. I have my own opinions on the various editions of D&D, their strengths and (numerous) weaknesses. For me, it's a canvas on which to paint a setting. I want to build levels upon that foundation, not move furniture around in the basement...

(I think I lost the metaphor a bit there)

:)

Remove ads

Remove ads