D&D 5E D&D 2022 Overview - Did you purchase any of the books?

D&D 2022 - Did you purchase any of the books?

• Mordenkainen Presents: Monsters of the Multiverse - May 16, 2022

Votes: 76 45.5%
  • Critical Role: Call of the Netherdeep - March 15, 2022

Votes: 36 21.6%
  • Dragonlance: Shadow of the Dragon Queen - December 2022

Votes: 42 25.1%
  • Journeys through the Radiant Citadel - July 19, 2022

Votes: 65 38.9%
  • Spelljammer: Adventures in Space - August 16, 2022

Votes: 69 41.3%
  • None.

Votes: 55 32.9%
  • ADDED: Dragons of Stormwreck Isle Starter Set - Aug/Oct, 2022

Votes: 26 15.6%

JEB

Legend
Interesting. I'm playing through this at the moment, and am coming to the firm conclusion that it's not very good. Were the reviews any use as a reliable source of guidance?
Yeah, the reviews made the premise and setting sound just interesting enough to be worth picking up, and there weren't any major minuses noted. But thanks for the warning to keep my expectations low when I finally get around to reading it...

JEB

Legend
I am still making my way through Tasha's every now and then for a thorough cover to cover read. I have about 7 hardcovers after that to get to that have only been briefly skimmed. :)
You're way ahead of me! Still have a whopping 14 hardcovers to read through, myself; I'm very slow with anything that isn't a rules-focused supplement, and I also read a lot more non-D&D stuff. (Though like you, I did skim them.)

Hussar

Legend
Just picked up Spelljammer for my next campaign. First book I think I've bought since Candlekeep.

My gaming purchases are really, really low. :D

Voadam

Legend
You're way ahead of me! Still have a whopping 14 hardcovers to read through, myself; I'm very slow with anything that isn't a rules-focused supplement, and I also read a lot more non-D&D stuff. (Though like you, I did skim them.)
I don't own 14 5e hardcovers. :)

5e is my system of choice, but I have been good with reading the first starter set, the core 3, Xanathar's, and Volo's. I still use my 20-year old mashup homebrew setting which has elements of Eberron and such but mostly my 5e reading has been system oriented (though I really enjoyed Volo's lore, particularly the hags section).

Most of my RPG reading is non 5e stuff too. I am also currently part way through cover to cover reads of GURPS 3e Biotech, the Pathfinder adventure path #3 The Choking Tower, and the old 3.5 Hyperconscious (which has a fun dream adventure).

Yeah, the reviews made the premise and setting sound just interesting enough to be worth picking up, and there weren't any major minuses noted. But thanks for the warning to keep my expectations low when I finally get around to reading it...
Fair enough. It has some good parts, but it doesn't run smoothly. Have you read my thread?

For perspective, I've bought three WotC books (including Dragonlance next week) and backed thirteen 5th-ed-based RPG kickstarters this year (and there's another two, possibly three, that I'll probably back before the end of the year). And most of the kickstarters are pushing double the price or more of a typical WotC hardback release once shipping etc is included.
Bought Monsters of the Multiverse (twice technically, since I bought the gift set for my wife so she has her own copies of Tasha's and Xanathar's as well), Radiant Citadel, and the new Starter set because I'm a sucker for seeing what new adventure they've using to sell the game to new players. Preordered the SotDQ deluxe set so there's that too. From 3PP, I've bought 2 books from Nord Games. I was convinced I had backed a Kickstarter or two, but a quick check says I'm blurring late 2021 into this year.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
It's kinda embarrassing for me to be a gaming fan who runs 5e at least twice a week and to be completely uninterested in a year's worth of official products. I purchased none of them.
I find it odd that you would be embarrassed that you didn't buy a product you weren't going to use? I mean, yeah, we are playing 5E... but the whole point of the game is to use what we need to run our game-- with no requirements past that. There's absolutely no shame in not buying something if we don't want it / need it.

After all... it's not like WotC is expecting every single one of us to buy every single thing they produce. If they did... they wouldn't produce more esoteric things like Ravnica, Netherdeep, or Fizban's-- everything would just be more and more PC splatbooks. If they don't expect us to buy every single book... then there's no reason to be even the slightest bit embarrassed that we aren't.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases