D&D 3E/3.5 (D&D 3.5) Is Monkey's grip worth it?

heymejack

First Post
where can i find some rules that say monkey grip and powerful build don't stack? it doesnt seem to be mentioned in either the monkey grip feat on page 103 of complete warrior or in the goliath's racial features on page 56 of races of stone. it would be nice to disallow that combo, as this guy is definitely dominating combat in a 'less fun for the other players' kind of way.

HoboGod

First Post
The argument is that monkey grip states: "You can use melee weapons one size category larger than you are. . . ." Well, with powerful build, you're still only size medium even if you're treated as size large for many purposes. Likewise, it says "A goliath can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty." Monkey grip certainly doesn't increase your size, so powerful build still only applies to large weapons.

heymejack

First Post
goliath reach

does using a large weapon as a medium character give you large reach? seems to me, a goliath with a spiked chain has 15 foot reach. true?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
There are two schools of thought on that: RAW which says no, and those (including responses from WotC) which say that it is within the spirit of the rules.

I'm a spirit guy...but I rule that you only get the extra reach with an actual reach weapon- others don't add as much reach because they are adding more width and depth.

IOW, an oversized glaive ads reach because that is what it's designed to do, while a sword's blade is adding width or a mace's head is getting bigger without as much of a boost in length.

heymejack

First Post
yeah that seems like how it should be. personally, i like the half-ogre anyway, but this guy in my game likes the goliath (for the plus one level adjustment?) because he really thinks the huge guy competitive tribal existence thing is good times and great oldies.

HoboGod

First Post
Savage Species lists that a reach weapon's range increases with its size. It's not a far stretch to say that 2-handed swords, axes, and clubs with 5' reach retain their 10' reach as large weapons when wielded by a medium combatant.

Last edited:

Remove ads