• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[D&D 4e] IG's "The Witchlight Strand"

Shayuri

First Post
Aridha's approach is more direct. She shifts into a wolf, sniffs at the ground, then bounds off into the forest, pausing every so often to snuffle around, or peer intently at brush and bush for signs of the orc's rather intemperate passage.

Redrobes

First Post
Druthruss will search around the edge of town for tracks and look out for signs of the scum. Use perception +9.

If I track a partially obscured group of them I could try to sneak up and get more info but I would want some backup if it got bad. Ill report back before I try it tho.

Last edited:

jkason

First Post
Weel Naxel, human artificer

Weel cocks his head to one side and frowns. Then he rambles on about what it is that's managed to snag his attention.

"These are new orcs, but still orcs, yes? I remember -- or the houses remember. Yes, probably the houses, they're much older than I am. But whoever remembers, the tribes all had territories. They changed, but usually the same few bits of land; sacred or fertile or high ground? I don't know, but the orcs like them, yes, enough to fight over them and hand them back and forth.

"Which is silly, since the land doesn't go anywhere and probably gets tired of all that blood in its face."

OOC: History check (previous state / location of local orc tribes) (1d20+10=29)

Obviously the current situation is different, but figured knowing how the tribes had previously been distributed would be helpful in determining a place they'd all likely be inclined to gather at. If they're being drawn together by some kind of charismatic leader, it stands to reason he might use land they all covet as a lighting rod to draw them. The roll's good enough that it should work for a Perception check instead, though, since we seem to be tracking in general.

industrygothica

Adventurer
Your investigations have lead you to a small clearing in the woods just outside Hania. There are two covered wagons loaded with supplies looted from Hania's stores. There are at least seven orcs in the clearing, most of them injured, having probably fled the battle at Hania. They appear to be arguing amongst themselves, but when one such argument comes to blows the others cease bickering and cheer on the fight.

[sblock=Perception DC 16]Though you may not understand the orcish language entirely, your ears are keen enough to pick out a few words: namely, "Kranaak," and "dead." It is apparent the the brutal orc was this raiding party's leader, and that they are lost without his direction.[/sblock]

Redrobes

First Post
If were all there, and with such a distraction, Druthruss will carefully scout around them and be sure that all of them are counted and none on lookout at the edges. No need to interrupt their fight just yet... If I think we have seen them all then he find a well concealed vantage point with a wide fire arc. He is hoping to get a first strike in the back at least.

Do the wagons have horses all tacked up and ready to roll or could we assume that they are not going anywhere in a hurry.

industrygothica

Adventurer
Druthruss is able to move about undetected, and finds a suitable vantage point from which to fire, should the opportunity arise.

There doesn't appear to be any other enemies in the area. There are no horses attached to the wagons, leaving one to assume that the orcish horde was planning on pulling them themselves before their numbers were thinned.

Midgardsormr

First Post
Pier eases carefully through the trees but takes care not to move too close; he doesn't want to give away the surprise. He takes a firm grip on the staff in his left hand and quietly draws his dagger with his right. Since Druthruss seems likely to be the one to start the fight, Pier watches the dwarf for the signal to attack.

Stealth (if necessary. And ick. I hope it isn't!):

jkason

First Post
Weel Naxel, human artificer

Weel, seeing the others move stealthily about, holds his finger up to his lips and nods, drawing both javelin and implement and holding position.

Korash

First Post
Vatan will use the distraction of the fight to move (and he tries to do it quietly, muttering under his breath about all these damned branches and twigs he keeps bumping into and stepping on) to a location on the opposite side of the clearing from Druthruss. Sword and handaxe at the ready.

Roll Lookup

1d20+3=8

Figures..... :/

hey, maybe HE will add to the distraction (at least for the others...)

Last edited:

Remove ads