• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[D&D 4e] IG's "The Witchlight Strand"

Redrobes

First Post
Drůthruss packs his belongings so that he can grab his pack. Quick check of ammunition and a check on who is near him and where everyone is and then stand on the prow near to some cover looking for gobbos.

Korash

First Post
Vatan will position himself near the main mast, waiting to see where he was needed. One of the things that he is looking at is how the sailors are reacting to this news, and also how the others are handling boat travel.

He will have sword and dagger in hand.

Edit: His bow and arrows are at the foot of the mast, and his buckler is hanging from his belt.

As the Ship closes on the gap, he will call out "'Ware o' the casters. Target any you see!"

Last edited:

industrygothica

Adventurer
The captain's experienced crew splits up as some take up weapons while others keep the ship on course. Several minutes of eerie silence pass as the crewmen guide the vessel through the narrow channel.

A sharp THUD breaks the silence and steals everyone's attention momentarily. Then another, on the other side of the boat. A brave crewman looks over the side for the source while others scan the trees for threats.

"Pitch!"
another crewman yells, as the first stands up from looking over the side, covered in the viscous goo. Soon after a huge band of goblinkin erupt onto the banks and from the trees, armed not with weapons, but with casks of pitch raining down on the ship, inside and out.

The captain stands stunned in the center of the ship's deck, seemingly unable to move. "They're gonna turn 'er to cinders," he says, defeated.

Redrobes

First Post
Drůthruss dives to his pack, grabs the end of some rope then looks around frantically. Then dives into his pack and rummages around for a bit but whatever he is looking for he does not seem to find it. After a short while he stows the end of the rope back in and grabs his pack and slings it on his back.

Korash

First Post
Seeing that the Gobbos are making easy targets of themselves, Vatan will sheath his weapons and pick up his bow and quiver. "She ain't cinders yet Capt'n" he will call out as he looses arrows towards the tree dwelling gobbos. "If we hit them hard enough we should be able to make it through"

Att: 1d20+6 = 9
Roll Lookup
not likely but Dmg: 1d8+4 (I think) = 5
Roll Lookup

Midgardsormr

First Post
[sblock="OOC"]
You haven't given us a tactical breakdown or a map yet, but I am assuming that goblins cannot hurl a cask of pitch too terribly far, so I am supposing that they are within range of all of my powers. If that is not the case, I can go back and revise my move.
[/sblock]

"And they won't if we turn them to cinders first!"

Pier lifts his staff in his right hand and points it toward the mass of goblins on the starboard side. With his left, he pulls his dagger from its sheath and draws a rune in the air. A thick column of flames erupts from the ground in the midst of the goblins.

[sblock="Scorching Burst"]
+5 (INT) v Reflex 1d6 + 5 (INT) damage
Standard Action Area Burst 1 within 10 squares
Target: Each creature in burst
Arcane, Fire, Implement

I don't know how many goblins I can hit, so here are 9 attack rolls—Pier places the burst so as to hit as many enemies as possible:

Scorching burst attack rolls. (1d20+5=9, 1d20+5=11, 1d20+5=25, 1d20+5=18, 1d20+5=20, 1d20+5=10, 1d20+5=19, 1d20+5=8, 1d20+5=22)

Scorching Burst damage roll. (1d6+5=8)

Hopefully that will ignite some of the casks and prevent more goblins from approaching from that side.[/sblock]

industrygothica

Adventurer
Vatan's arrows stick solidly in the dirt at the feet of a pair of goblins and sends the unarmed menaces running for cover.

Pier's wreaks havoc, however, as the flames erupt from the earth under a small cluster of green-skins. They too scurry for cover, tracking the burning pitch with them through the woods.

More goblinkin emerge from the surrounding forest as it threatens to turn into an inferno underneath the crisp autumn air. The masses crowd the banks, and then rush the ship on all sides with hooks and rope in an attempt to board.

[sblock=Skill Challenge!]Keep the hoard of goblins from boarding the ship.

Main skills: Athletics, Acrobatics, Endurance (once per PC), Intimidate
Secondary skills (to aid another): Bluff, Insight (not passive), Perception (not passive)[/sblock]

Korash

First Post
"Prepare to repel boarders!!!" Vatan will call out as he switches from the bow to sword and handaxe. He will then rush to the side of the ship closest to the shore and start chopping grappling lines. He will call out to the waiting horde "Who be the first ta taste me steel? Ya scurvy Gobbo scum!!"

[sblock=rolls]
Athletics: 1d20+8 = 16
Intimidate: 1d20+5 = 20
Roll Lookup
[/sblock]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads