D&D 5E D&D 5e Feats

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
While I agree that feats should be more like Skill Training and Ritual Caster, I always thought that the Weapon Finesse feat in itself was always a Feat Tax for Rogues and many of those character types.

Well, I like characters outside of Rogues having the option, but the Rogues should definitely get it for free. To give this context, I also like fewer and broader classes, rather than niche stuff like, say, Bladesingers.

I like feats that give statistical bonuses.
Weapon specialization is not new to 3rdor 4th edition.

It just was new, that those weapon proficiences competed with non weapon proficiencies (skill training)
In ADnD 2nd edition, you just had two different pools.

With class, race and theme, there could easily be class, racial and theme feats. And you get them seperately. Maybe a class feat every odd level, a theme and/or a racial feat at every even level. Class feats are combat related, like weapon proficiencies/focus/and styles (I agree that weapon finesse should be built in light blades), theme feats will cover skills, and racial feats will allow to ge some nice racial utilities.

Hassassin

First Post
Feats should never grant flat, boring numerical bonuses. Rerolls are much better.

In D20, being better at something means having a bonus to the roll, and vice versa. Rerolls just push it closer to a dice pool system. It is not inherently any more interesting.

If you don't want feats that grant a flat bonus, don't design feats that simply make you better at something.

Agree with all the haters. feats are my least favorite parts of 3e and 4e. They sounded great at first until I was drowned in them.

I don't want a computer to roll up a character, or 40 books open in front of me, which is the only option with the current game and its (literally) THOUSANDS of feats.

God I hope they get this right, or at least make feats modular, so I can modulate their existence right out of my game.

Sirot

First Post
I think rerolls are a better way to go since it's a way to reduce the amount of numerical bloat you get with the actual roll + modifiers. That and I think it has a psychological effect on the player, you don't feel as vulnerable to a bad roll.

Ferghis

First Post
I agree with the spirit of getting rid of boring "+1 to damage" feats.

I do want to see swappable parts on the "advanced" characters, however it may be done. I'm happy to have something in the style of a 1e fighter, or even an essentials-fighter, but I also want to be able to swap out a lot of features for other features. In a way, this is what feats might do, and I don't dislike that, provided it works and is limited.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
My view on what feats should become is as follows:

1. Fewer in number, greater in power. Taking a feat should have a significant effect on your character, or perhaps several smaller effects. Each should really help define what makes a character unique.
  2. Have associated fluff. No feat should exist just to fill a mathematical niché. Instead, each should represent a kind of training or style that fits within the setting.
  3. Grouped Thematically. Nothing is worse that an alphabetical list of all feats. They should be grouped, much like spells are, into themed packages that make it easier to find something related to a character.
In a way, I see feats as replacing prestige classes or paragon paths by getting bigger, beating them up, and taking their stuff.

Sirot

First Post
I agree with the spirit of getting rid of boring "+1 to damage" feats.

I do want to see swappable parts on the "advanced" characters, however it may be done. I'm happy to have something in the style of a 1e fighter, or even an essentials-fighter, but I also want to be able to swap out a lot of features for other features. In a way, this is what feats might do, and I don't dislike that, provided it works and is limited.

Making feats swappable class features is the way to go. That is why I am pushing for class specific feats being the norm. I would even suggest that level requirements for feats become common to allow more power variance in feats and make them feel more like class features. The biggest thing this will do is turn 300 feats to choose from by any class into 25 feats per class (assuming 10 classes) with 50 general shared feats, which are further broken down by level.

The best thing WotC could do for the feat system is make it so they have a database of all the feats they have ever printed by easily searchable on their site for free. If they do that, and make feats more class/level specific, character generation would become more manageable and enjoyable.

Sammael

Adventurer
I don't want to see class specific feats. Feats should be general abilities that are not specific to a class; if something is specific to a class, it belongs on the class progression chart.

On the other hand, I fully endorse feats that will grant PCs the ability to dabble without full multiclassing, as long as full multiclassing is still an option.

Rbuse

First Post
Feats RE:

If i have this correct, upon character creation you can choos a race, a class and a theme all would have standard abilities of bonuses that they would give you. Race seems to be where your bonuses would come from, Class where abilities would come from, and a theme would give a secondary bonus/ enhance race or class and or give a skill specialty. Feats are now more about swapping "out of the box" race, class, or template traits another one that would make your character unique. If i understand theme correctly Avenger would be a theme that would enhance say the paladin class, or Maybe High elf would be a theme that would enhance the elf race.

It would seem that instead of the 20-30 catagories of feats we have now in 4e we would have Class feats/Race feats/Theme feats which the ability granted may be more powerful than what we are used to in 4e however there is a cost assosiated with taking the feat.

On rolling:
Most tabletop gamers love the idea of the fate of their character depending on the roll of a die, I agree it makes it exciting.However, whats not exciting to me is useless rolling. A complaint of mine has always been wondering why my (for instance) exceptionally strong character can perform amazing feats of stregnth and then in the next room not roll high enough to bust through a rickity wooden door. Streamlining rolls where if your below a certain threshold you need to roll and if your above is an autosuccess is a great idea.

On playstyle:
A modular version of D&D is very exciting to me as the group i game with is very diverse. We have a mix of players that enjoy more story driven and tend to play a more balanced character, two players who want all of the intricate complicated skill and ability choices, one player who if at all possible would be completely skill based, and myself who enjoys a simple streamlined character(I've been playing an essentials thief).

These people mentioned above are who the feats are for the skill player can trade out some abilities for more skill specialties. The complicated players can trade their abilites in for complicates specific use ones, or you can just play out of the box. Everyone can get what they want out of the game without having to play a different edition.

Remove ads