D&D 5E D&D 5e is fantastic. Just a topic of appreciation and some forum analysis.

Evenglare

Adventurer
I've been reading the various topics on these boards and I saw one topic about how the developers don't come here much anymore or at least if they do, they lurk and keep their involvement minimal. I certainly can understand why. Most of the topics on this board are complaining. I'll own up to my fair share of them. I just want to try and bring this to the attention of everyone. I love the game. I love all editions of D&D, I started back in 2000 when I was in high school and I bought my first 3e books. I had no idea what kind of impact that would have on my life. Looking back it was probably one of the most influential decisions I have ever made. I'm sure many of you have a similar story be it from OD&D, AD&D, 2nd edition, 3rd, 3.5, 4e or maybe even 5e!

I absolutely love all RPGs in general. I'm sure most of you have a special section in your heart that belongs to D&D though, for whatever reason. This leads me into why I wanted to post this topic. We love D&D, and that love can be fierce. I'd wager that the overwhelming amount of perceived negativity in these topics come from a good place. We feel like D&D is a part of us, at least I do. It's not just a brand or a commodity that we can just passively throw away at some point. It's very close to us which brings to light the topics. I (and I hope most of you) want to see D&D do well. We want to keep the game alive. When we see fumbles or missteps relating to the brand we voice our opinions because it affects us and the whole industry as a whole.

We want to see D&D doing well and we want D&D to be the very best it can possibly be. One of my more recent topics is about why wizards is so terrible at offering digital support. Though it may seem like I'm trying to draw negativity out of the users, I assure you I am not. Maybe the closest analogy to this is being a parent who sees their child making the same mistakes over and over, in which case we want to draw attention to this and FIX the problem we believe is occurring. People argue over Mountain Dwarf Wizards, 15 minute work days, shortcomings of the Ranger Beastmaster class. All of these things are important to us because D&D is important to us. I'd be much more worried if the game WASN'T being talked about and just fading into obscurity.

There's also something else at play here and on every other forum like this. It's called a vocal minority and it's just about impossible to get around. People post on forums like these because they want to bring attention to something they might not find agreeable. This spurs some passionate posts from the users. In all likely hood these are, in the grand scheme of things, small problems compared to the amount of fans that exist. No one comes to message boards to simply praise games. It's just a fact these days. Those kinds of posts drop quickly off the boards because there's no spur for discussion, the most common reply would be something like "I like the game too". You can't really build off of that. It doesn't necessarily help the game in any meaningful way.

It is a shame that the praise posts go away quickly, this means that IF the devs come here they are not likely to see them. So I just wanted to say that I love D&D5e (and the others). I can't speak for everyone but, personally, my topics do come from the fact that I have such an intense bond with the game. So even if it sounds like I'm bashing Wizards for being stupid, this is not my intention. I post because I'm frustrated with their business decisions (PDFs) and want to know the cause of those decisions because I want to help in whatever way I can or at least just understand the reasoning.

In conclusion, D&D team you did a fantastic job with 5e. I can honestly say it's one of the best RPGs that has been produced so far. Keep up the great work, and know that even if the fanbase seems to be constantly crapping on the game and the company it's not because we hate the game but quite the opposite (I assume most other users feel the same).

Hussar

Legend
Excellent post.

Part of the issue though is that perception plays such a huge part in discussing apparent problems. Saying that I want digital tools is fine. No one can gainsay that. Saying that 5e will fail because of a lack of digital tools is a much tougher row to hoe.

It's the conflation of the two that causes issues imo.

wedgeski

Adventurer
I like the game too.

:)

Great post. I do get exhausted by the negativity around here but you're right, it's just in the nature of internet forums.

transtemporal

Explorer
Yeah, good post. Remember that you can love a thing and still find parts of it annoying. Its just a matter of how you deal with that annoying part.

Some of it is human nature. It's easier to complain and point out flaws.
Some of it is just the nature of discussion. If I post a thread saying "I love 5e" there's little that can be added other than a "me too!" And there's less reason to even make that post. So forum posts tend to be questions or people seeking solutions to problems, which are somewhat inherently negative. And lengthier discussions arise over... debates... which also tend to have a hue of negativity.

The edition is also new and there's a lot of bruised feelings over the changes. The wounds are still fresh.

Reynard

Legend
The best praise the devs can get is in the sales numbers.

That is only true of books they actually produce and sell, though, and even then it is incomplete information. That is why companies do market research and poll customers.

For example, let's say Princes of the Apocalypse sells really well (whatever metric that might be) for WotC. Without further information, WotC might not know what to do with those sales figures. Is it because the adventure is just that good? Is it because there is a lot of nostalgia for Temple of Elemental Evil? Is it because it was the only thing on sale that month? Did it sell well to Amazon and distributors but is still sitting in boxes in warehouses? It gives no information on whether the AP format is the preferred format, and it offers no real insight into whether the next one will sell just as well. All of those important bit of information come from someplace other than sales figures, and among those somplaces are discussion fora.

JeffB

Legend
Yep. As much as things like the current adventure support bug me, and keep me from investing fully in the game, I LOVE the game itself. Mearls and team did a bangup job on the system.

Now start pumping out small self contained adventures please or bring back Dungeon mag. I have been playing since 1978..I can only convert and play The Classics so many times, ya know? ;)

PeelSeel2

Explorer
Bang up Job for the D&D 5e team. It will be interesting to see where they take 5e. They are trying a new path. What that is, we do not know. We have gotten hints, but not much else. They have even eluded to the fact they are learning as they go. I hope it continues very successfully.

I love the fact, so far, their is not a splat book deluge. I hope they keep it that way.

I think for the first time in the history of D&D at WOTC, they have all the intellectual property of D&D under D&D. So they can measure D&D as a brand instead of as a role playing game. I think their path is trying to strengthen D&D as brand, across all lines.

Remove ads