• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [D&D 5E] Pirates of the Spheres: Captain's Privilege (Recruiting)

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Alright, I've got most of the basics down. I'll be playing a mountain dwarf warlock (great old one, pact of the chain) who is essentially the ship's helmsman.

Would it be alright if I changed the Sailor background to a custom "space sailor" background, changing the skill proficiencies to arcana and perception, and the tool proficiency vehicles (water) to vehicles (spelljamming ships)?

As for the magic items, I'm considering the Rod of the Pact Keeper +1 (uncommon).

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Alright, I've got most of the basics down. I'll be playing a mountain dwarf warlock (great old one, pact of the chain) who is essentially the ship's helmsman.

Would it be alright if I changed the Sailor background to a custom "space sailor" background, changing the skill proficiencies to arcana and perception, and the tool proficiency vehicles (water) to vehicles (spelljamming ships)?

As for the magic items, I'm considering the Rod of the Pact Keeper +1 (uncommon).

Works for me. I'm very flexible when it comes to background proficiencies.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer

I also changed the sailor background to have spelljaming vehicles and paid 250gp to be proficient in navigator tools (a captain needs to know where he's going!). This was necessary because of the hybrid charlatan background I gave him (to have forgery tools, to forge official empire documents ;-)
Cheers,

SG

pathfinderq1

First Post
So far, it looks like we have:
1. Human FTR/ROG/Warlock (Captain)
2. Gnome Wizard (Engineer)
3. Wood elf Druid (Environmental/healing)
4. Mountain dwarf Warlock (Helm)
+possible warforged

>At this point, I'm thinking either Brute Squad (especially if we DON'T have a warforged) or fixer/diplomat/Jack of all trades (possibly back-up helm/navigation; probably melee-capable). Any other contestants, or obvious roles I'm missing?

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Possible ship roles...

Gunner - the ship currently doesn't have a working ballista or other weapons, but that doesn't mean it won't. The Gunner can also be a weapons expert in charge of determine the right weapons for the job (and in charge of the key to the weapons locker if there is one).

Navigator - A dedicated navigation expert (so the captain and others can concentrate on other tasks).

Rigger - Someone in charge of ropes, sails, wings, etc, depending on what the ship has available. While in space, these elements of the ship are stowed, but ships capable of flight through atmospheres and water-landings are often equipped with these elements.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
One more thing - if you want a visual idea of the kind of ships we're playing with, take a look at this. If you have the time and desire, google Silverblade The Enchanter - he has done some amazing spelljammer art over the years.

Edit: Or just go here (the link in his sig).

Shayuri

First Post
Hm yeah, we definitely need a doorkicker here.

I will see what I come up with. A warforged would be pretty cool...I'll start with that and see where it goes. Ship role would probably be gunner or rigger or something. Something fairly unimportant, to reinforce that his REAL role is 'First In.'

Leif

Adventurer
Larken

Larken will also volunteer to help with/handle navigation duties as needed, assuming we are not planning to be a chronically sick bunch.

[sblock=Larken, Wood Elf Druid]
Larken, Wood Elf Druid L3 -- Environmental, Healing Officer / Ship's Doctor
Druid Circle: Circle of the Moon

15 W elf (wood) +1 = 16 +3
14 D elf (wood) +2 = 16 +3
13 C +1
12 Ch +1
10 I -
8 S -1

Ability Scores (arranged)
S 8 (-1)
D 16 (+3)
C 13 (+1)
I 10 (-)
W 16 (+3)
C 12 (+1)

HP: 9+6+6 =21

wood elves are proficient with longsword, short sword, short bow, longbow, walking speed 35', mask of the wild.
druids are proicient with: light armor, medium armor, shields, club, dagger, dart, javelin, mace, quarterstaff, scimitar, sickle, sling, spear.
Tools: Herbalism Kit
Saving Throws: Int, Wis
Skills: Perception, Survival

Carries a quarterstaff, upon which he casts shillelagh at the beginning of combat (casting time - 1 bonus action, d8 damage, uses spellcasting ability modifier (+3) for attacks and damage).

MAGIC ITEM (uncommon): Cloak of Protection (+1)
Leather armor [AC = 11+3(dex)+1(cloak)=15]

Spell Save DC: 8+2+3 = 13
Spell Attack Modifier: 2+3= +5

SPELLS [Slots: L1: 4, L2: 2]
Cantrips known: Druidcraft, Shillelagh
Spells Prepared: Cure Wounds (1d8 per level+3), Healing Word (1d4 per level+3), Speak With Animals, Thunderwave (15' cube originating from Larken, 2d8+1d8 per level above 1st+3) damage, save for half), Lesser Restoration, Protection from Poison

Background/Personmality
Larken was raised as a typical elf, with all the usual elvish reverence for nature and the natural world. He channeled this into his druidic studies and did very well. His greatest interest and fascination was with he sky and stars, which led him to journey between worlds as soon as he could. His long service in space has given him a broader outlook than many druids, but it has also made him long for simpler times before he became aware of other worlds. Things were so much simpler then! If only he could go back....
[/sblock]

Last edited:

pathfinderq1

First Post
So maybe:
1. Dwarven rigger/cargomaster/criminal contact (smuggler), second melee
2. Elven navigator/quartermaster/back-up helm
3. half-elf 'diplomat' of some kind

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Possible ship roles...

Gunner - the ship currently doesn't have a working ballista or other weapons, but that doesn't mean it won't. The Gunner can also be a weapons expert in charge of determine the right weapons for the job (and in charge of the key to the weapons locker if there is one).

Navigator - A dedicated navigation expert (so the captain and others can concentrate on other tasks).

Rigger - Someone in charge of ropes, sails, wings, etc, depending on what the ship has available. While in space, these elements of the ship are stowed, but ships capable of flight through atmospheres and water-landings are often equipped with these elements.

So maybe:
1. Dwarven rigger/cargomaster/criminal contact (smuggler), second melee
2. Elven navigator/quartermaster/back-up helm
3. half-elf 'diplomat' of some kind

Hey Guys,

So my character has the cross bow expert feat, with the archery fighting style. He would make a good ballista shot. I added a heavy cross bow for ship-to ship fighting, but ballista makes more sense. He also has proficiency in navigator tools (I figured it made sense for a captain). We'll be a small crew, so I think we'll have to wear many hats.
[MENTION=48762]Leif[/MENTION], is Larken a moon druid? If so, another front liner would be enough imo. If not, we'll need a second one, as my character is focused on sniping and the others are more arcane (Wiz and Warlock).

Also, have we been a crew for long? It would be nice if we have, so we can be "tight" and be loyal to one another.
Cheers,

SG

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads