• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[D&D 5E] Securing the Alliance: An Adventure in Tethyr (IC)

"Nay, Devlin, not friends. A meeting. More accurately, we hoped to observe said meeting." Brue hoped to hell she hadn't given away too much in saying those words.

OOC: Can I "help" Gnorth's Persuasion check (not that he needs it, he has a very good roll)? [roll0]

Forged Fury

First Post
OOC: You all can help, although it's unnecessary due to Marcelus14's roll. You don't need to roll anything. Although there are actually rules about group checks that are different than helping a single character. This feels more like a group check, but since Marcelus14 rolled well, we'll go with that. If anyone is interested, group checks involve everyone rolling. If at least half pass the check, the check succeeds. I'll announce group checks in the future when I call for a roll.

This highlighting OP posts in yellow is, uh, interesting. Nice to be able to spot the DM posts though...

Devlin's hand continued its motion and scooped up the offered coins. Gnorth's simple words seemed to have soothed him. "Oh, thank goodness. I don't usually wish ill on anyone, but I have to say that I wasn't sorry to see them go, even in the arms of an ogre. Nasty bunch, three men if I recall correctly. They treated my serving wenches something awful. I had a mind to kick them out of the inn that night but..." He pointed to the destruction all around them. "Someone else did it for me. Sorry you missed them..." Devlin scratched at his temple before finishing, "I will say that I don't recall them meeting with anyone before they were taken. Came in one night and kept to themselves. Stayed in the harbor room for one night and throughout the next day. That evening was when the ogres came..."

Last edited:

hafrogman

Adventurer
Sensing when he said the wrong thing at the wrong time (a talent of his), Lorenzo looses himself deeply in his mug of ale for a few moments while Gnorth and Brue soothe over the barkeep. The news extracted was exactly what he'd feared though. Unless the Lady was truly smiling on him, and they'd left behind their possessions when they were taken ... it was time to go hunting ogres. At least the trail will be easy to follow.

Egon

First Post
With things smoothed over, Boddynock lightens up a bit. He didn't blame the bartender for being cautious; one look at the carnage and broken furniture in the main tavern area told him that caution would probably be the norm for this man from this point on. Poor guy was just trying to earn a decent living when this all happened. A slight sigh escaped Boddynock's lips as he took another pull from his tankard.

I do wonder, though...

He set his mug down on the bar, thinking hard about what Lorenzo had said. And the bartender's response. And he then spoke up in his own way.

"Sorry to ask, but you said that these...men?...stayed in the Harbor Room for just the one night, yes? I don't suppose you'd be willing to let us take a peek inside the room, would you?"

OOC: Although Gnorth smoothed things over, I'll provide a Persuasion roll of my own as I'm asking for additional stuffage here.

[roll0]

Forged Fury

First Post
"The Harbor Room?" Devlin asked. "Sure, I don't think that would be a problem, they only paid for three nights up front, so be my guest." Looking at the coins in his hand, he continued, "Although I guess you already are. Anyway, I've already been through them to clean up a bit and it doesn't look like there was much left. Be sure to watch your steps back there though, I'm not sure how the footing is or how well the walls will hold for that matter..."

Devlin walked the group over to the group of shattered rooms on the left side of the tavern. He pointed to the last room in the line, past heaps of broken wood. "Harbor room's the last one on the left."

Gnorth nodded to Devlin in thanks and placed his empty tankard on the broken bar, only vaguely realizing he had downed it fairly swiftly and may want to consider keeping a level head. "One last question for you, bud. Did them ogres seem at all particularly interested in our not friends? Or did it seem like smash and grab people? Understand if you not remember detail so well."

OOC: He seems friendly enough at this point by Gnorth's reckoning, but here is another persuasion check if needed. [roll0]Edit: Gnorth certainly has a way with words.

Forged Fury

First Post
Devlin seemed to be thinking very hard about Gnorth's question. After a few seconds, however, he said, "Not that I could tell. I didn't really get a good look at things, havin' hid behind the bar. Only two of the beasts attacked the Tankard, I would think they all would have if they were especially interested in those others. But is is still strange that they just attacked the inns here. Why not the other buildings?" Leaning in conspiratorially, he finished, "Mason, the owner of the Dappled Lady, thinks the ogres were put up to it by the innkeepers in Zazesspur, but I think that's daft." Devlin seemed to be right at the point where his curiosity was going to get the better of him, but he refrained from asking anything.

hafrogman

Adventurer
Lorenzo hangs to the back, but follows the others over to the rooms, peering into the erstwhile Harbor room.

OOC: investigation - [roll0]
perception - [roll1]
edit: Lady! Why hast thou forsaken me?

If there's anywhere a mending could help, Lorenzo will try and shore up the space a little.

GM: Man, Tymora hates you...
Also testing the new Admin rights like an iron fisted tyrant.

Last edited:

Olrox17

Hero
After hearing all that had happened here, Corilo was genuinely sad.

"Thank you, Mr Devlin, you've been very helpful. I'm sorry you and the rest of the town had to suffer this vile attack." Anger flashed in the young marksman's eyes "The ogres deserve some payback."

Corilo slapped his forehead "Oh, almost forgot. My friend Gnorth here has an empty flask. Would it be possible to fill it? I'll pay for it"

Watching Lorenzo peer in the Harbor Room, Corilo decided to check it out himself.

OOC: If Lorenzo is casting mending, Corilo will of course wait for him to finish.
perception: [roll0]

Forged Fury

First Post
Devlin nodded, "Certainly, anything for such a good man as Gnorth, here." The bartender seemed downright happy to fill the orc's flask. Pulling out a few miraculously intact bottles from behind the counter, he asked, "What's your preference?"

OOC: He has a variety of liquors to choose. Brandy, rum, gin, etc. The liquor is of a fairly high quality, this must be his special stock.

There are a few timbers that could probably benefit from a mending[/b] but most things are either too broken to determine what matches up with what or they have breaks bigger than allowed by the spell.

For the rest of you, just let me know who is planning on going back to the room. Right now, I believe I have Corilo and Lorenzo heading back there. Devlin is still available for conversation or you could try to talk to passersby or others in the vicinity of the inn.

Remove ads