D&D 5th Edition Dungeon Master's Guide

PhD20

Villager
5 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Dungeon Master's Guide

Worldbuilding considerations, creating adventures/NPCs, and a unique DM’s Toolbox make this book stand out. Not to mention the HOARD of optional rules. Once again, the artwork delivers on most fronts. This book does what its name intends. It “guides” DMs. It doesn’t force you in any direction. You want to make a class? It guides you loosely on how to. It does not present a clear-cut process but guides you with things to consider. You’ll find this all over. If you are a DM, get this book. I was not disappointed.

slightlyprime

First Post

SPELL POINTS ARE AWESOME, i love the various rules the dm can chose to implement to make it the game the group will enjoy, also the villain cretion options look super fun

thexar

Explorer
4 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Dungeon Master's Guide

I hate the treasure tables. They are better than none (like 4th), but not as good as 3x.

delericho

Legend

This is the best 'main' DMG of any edition of D&D to date. And, since that could be considered damning with faint praise, I'll also say: this is an extremely good DMG. (The previous best was the 1st Ed version, but the extremely flavoursome language sometimes impeded comprehension. The 2nd Ed version was almost devoid of worthwhile content beyond the magic items. The 3e version was okay, but did we really need endless pages about doors and walls? The 3.5e took the same material and reorganised badly, and added the broken Epic rules. And the 4e version was long on triviality and painfully short where detail was needed. Not an impressive bunch.)

This DMG has 9 chapters and 4 Appendices. It opens with two chapters on being Master of Worlds: A World of Your Own and Creating a Multiverse. These reminded me, more than anything, of the 2nd Ed "Campaign Supplement and Catacomb Guide" - an extremely impressive book that in many ways is the missing half of the 2nd Ed DMG. Excellent stuff, and a good start.

Part Two is five chapters on being Master of Adventures. Unfortunately, this was where I hit my few caveats about the book. In both the discussion of Mystery adventures and also in creating NPCs, I found the book very good at stating the bleeding obvious, but painfully lacking on specifics. There are some hard-won lessons that veteran DMs pick up along the way, and that are ideal fodder for a DMG (allowing a new DM to skip the pain of learning them the hard way). For example, it reminds the DM to include lots of clues for a mystery (good), but could profitably have talked about the Three Clue Rule. (The TCR isn't holy writ, of course, but it's an extremely good rule of thumb... and exactly the sort of starting place a new DM would benefit from.)

My second caveat mostly concerns the placement of the magic items in the book - the items presented are pretty good, and there's a good range, but they'd have been much better placed at the back of the book, in a second appendix. This would allow a time-pressed DM to find them much more easily for later reference. A nitpick, perhaps, but something that bugged me.

Part Three is two chapters about being Master of Rules, and consists of two chapters. The first of these is additional applications and expansions of the existing rules, while the second is a grab-bag of optional rules and systems. The final chapter also guides the DM in developing new monsters, backgrounds, magic items, classes, and so forth. Really good stuff.

Finally, the Appendices detail Random Dungeons, give useful lists of monsters sorted in various ways (good, but should have been in the MM), a handful of maps, and a recommended reading list just for DMs. All good stuff, though sadly not matching the 1st Ed DMG appendices, which were far and away the highlights of that book.

One last caveat: the binding on my copy is already cracking, after just a read-through and no use in-game at all. A shame.

All in all, though, this is an excellent book, and highly recommended.

Brian Seligman

First Post

I find the new DMG to be very well put together and love the inclusion of things from the original game like random dungeons, firearms and explosives. I find the layout and index to be helpful and the content to be excellent.

marroon69

Explorer
3 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Dungeon Master's Guide

I was pretty exciting about 5th ed when it came out. But after playing the game for a while it seems to be a glorified version of the D&D essentials to me, not that that is bad. Yes there are changes, some for the better and so for the worse. The book looks nice, the arts is ok nothing spectacular, the halfling art is down right weird. Everyone seems point to going back to the roots, the old school feel but I do not seem to get that feel..it still feels very much like 4th ed to me. Not a bad game, but nothing pulling me...

Shagamemnon

First Post

At first, I found the 5th edition DM's guide difficult to navigate and lacking in crunch for expanding my games. But as I have run a few campaigns in 5th edition and used it more and more, it has grown on me considerably. There are some great insights on the nature of roleplaying games, how and why we play and a lot of practical advice on how to make your game fun. This is a practical tool for gamers interested in running 5th edition games but it is also a great meditation on the nature of RPGs in general. Highly recommended.

TheSwartz

Explorer

Lots in this book. If you are wanting to create your own campaign, adventures, and/or NPCs, you will find all the essential tips and info here. I see all of this information in various posts or books by bloggers; but I'm really not sure if they ever add much more than what you'll find in this one book. If you won't be creating your own stuff, then much of the book will not be helpful to you; there are some optional rules though which many of them are very interesting to most DMs I'd think. The real reason to get this book for EVERYONE will be the magic items section. And, in 5th edition fashion, it is an awesome list of very interesting items.

dracomilan

Explorer

The 5th edition DMG is a clearly superior product when compared to the last three guides dedicated to GMs (4th edition, 3rd edition and 2nd edition). It packs a lot of alternate rules, but also advice that is vastly useful for novice and veteran DMs, and can also be applied to other game systems. The best product of the current edition triad.

timbannock

Adventurer
Supporter

Dungeon Master’s Guides have to serve so many masters and cover so many topics that it’s almost a failing venture even before you’ve written the first word. That makes them hard to review, too, but in the case of 5th Edition’s entry onto the DMG scene, it’s actually been a pleasure. Taking the shortest path to cover every topic imaginable, this edition’s guide for running the game is chock full of functional advice, sleek mechanics, and an unreal number of random tables, optional rules, and variants that can inspire, inform, or redefine how you run a D&D game. It’s dead sexy to look at, too!

Rating: Content 5/5 and Form 4/5.

Read the full review at neuronphaser.com!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases