D&D 5th Edition Player's Handbook

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Dad
5 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Player's Handbook

Ive played 1e & 2e. Both of these editions encapsulated what D&D is for me. While I loved these 2 editions there was always room for improvement. I was not a big fan of THACO for one. I did not love the art and layout of these 2 books. But what I loved was the creativity, the emphasis on story and on role playing (vs. roll playing). The DM had control of her world, not the players. The players were the heroes, not the NPCs. Well, fast forward 10 years and I played 4e, which was an utter and total disappointment. Gone were all the things I loved about D&D. In fact, I decided to give 4e a real college try. I played for about half a year with a great group of guys whom Ive known for better part of my life, and for the first time I walked away from D&D. Fast forward 4 years and here we are. I played this game at demos around FLGS and cons and I was blown away! In short, because others are providing more concise reviews, I loved many elements of 5e. I did not have to play a tactical miniatures game anymore, in fact, I did not need mini's and battlematts (although these are great tools and I still use them). I did not need endless supplements with byzantine character options to play (and which costs $$$). I did not need to sacrifice role playing for roll playing. And most importantly, emphasis was not on combat, but on adventuring and stories. The DM now has control of her game, not the players. And that, in short is what D&D should be and what 5e has delivered.

talien

Community Supporter

This new system relies heavily on the ability saving throws and advantage/disadvantage, a combination that can cover just about every situation. For those of us accustomed to enjoying the dance of checking which rule will give you enough bonuses to succeed, this edition will likely throw you off-balance -- D&D is no longer exclusively the domain of the tactical. I think that's a good thing.

Mercurius

Legend

What more could you want from the Player's Handbook? Wizards of the Coast hit a home run, with good to great art, strong layout, and excellent content overall. A small but important point: the font size is perfect, finding a middle ground between the dense-but-difficult-to-read 3E books and the easy-to-read-but-white-filled 4E books.

After all the playtests and the Basic document there are few surprises in the book. We’ve seen most of the content and a lot of the rules. There’s just more content.The PHB is almost a splatbook for D&D Basic.This makes the value of the PHB problematic. There is a lot of content, but you can play for years with just Basic D&D. All the customization and rules modules look to be coming later in the DMG. If none of the classes and races interest you, there’s very little else this book has to offer. But, really, if you’re even thinking about buying the PHB you likely want the included options.While there are some gaps and absences, I imagine there will be a flood of fan content in the next few weeks. There are already a few backgrounds out there, including my tongue-in-cheek harlot background.I would recommend buying some stick-on tabs for the chapters. Those are a must for navigating the book.That’s it for the Player’s Handbook. I’ll have to do a review of Basic D&D looking at the nuances of the rule system itself, likely after I see more monsters and, hopefully, take the game out for a longer spin.

Quartz

Hero

This is a top quality product. The print quality is top-notch. There are issues: the game does not appear to be designed for multi-classing, the book needs better indices, and there are niggles in the magic, particularly with polymorphing / shapechanging, but those all really only pull it down to 4.95 stars.

Emirikol

Adventurer
4 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Player's Handbook

Really my only gripe about this edition is the artwork (ok, and that magic is extraordinarily powerful and that there is a lack of non-spell-crutch character classes)...other than that good..yes, good ;)

Goemoe

Explorer

I am in love with it. Might not be the best skill system, but everything else is nothing but great. Excellent!

Psikerlord#

Explorer

The best version of DnD to date for me, having played 2e, 3e and 4e. Superb art, races, classes, game mechanics in general. Plays a lot faster than 4e. I dont really like passive perception (but likely more on that in DMG in Dec) and Inspiration (which is easily ignored).

Remove ads