D&D 5th Edition Player's Handbook

5 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Player's Handbook

This great for begginners and experienced players alike. Great art, great fluff and the stream-lined rules become second nature quickly. Just wish they had more fluff for each class and race (yes, even more fluff for classes), at least one more sorcerer option and a real prestige class-like feature for clerics, domains are good and all, but I hope they add concepts above and beyond divine domains in the future. Other than that, great book, all the classic classes and races, with a few newer to spice it up.

Last edited:

E

Elderbrain

This one is a keeper. All your favorite races (and a few newer ones) return in updated for along with twelve classes with a nice selection of options. Easy to understand and implement rules make this edition the easiest to play (and teach!) and a ton of fun. Mostly great art, good tools for role playing (I.e. ideals, flaws, backgrounds for characters, etc.) make this a true roll playing game, not just a "roll-playing" game. Also, looks like very little errata to deal with (a personal pet peeve).

was

Adventurer
4 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Player's Handbook

It does a good job of bringing players back to the game with a well-designed rule set. Players of every edition can find something to like in this one.

machineelf

Explorer

It's like they read my mind about what I wanted. Back to old-school feel and flavor, but with smart, intuitive rules.

dd.stevenson

Super KY

Wotc's other two editions were very much hampered by the squeaky wheel effect, which resulted in undue attention being paid to a small number of problems at the expense of the product's overall appeal. I'm very pleased to see wotc finally move past that, and if the quality of this product is any indicator then we've got a lot to look forward to over 5E's lifespan.

Mr0wlington

First Post

I'm enjoying the heck out of 5th edition D&D, and the Players Handbook is a big part of that. It's well written, with just the right amount of ambiguity to allow a player full reign on their creations. EXCELLENT art production value.

damnbul

First Post

This PHB is artistic. A must purchase to anyone wanting to play 5th. As a player This book is essential to creating a character. This book is useful to both players and DM's.

3 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Player's Handbook

What can I say that hasn't been said? If you like D&D, and don't want to try anything innovative, this is the latest incarnation of the standard system. Not much new or exciting, but definitely better than the 3e based version that it replaces (neatly skipping past 4e).

Khaalis

Adventurer
3 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Player's Handbook

Firstly, let me say that I think the edition is well done and may just be able to bridge most editions. The writing is solid and pretty consistent. However, my beef is with the actual production quality of the book. I haven't had ANY game book by any publisher (and I own far more ROG books than I ever care to count) that was so poorly produced since the AD&D Unearthed Arcana. I've already gone through 2 PHBs from 2 different vendors (so I know it wasn't a production lot issue) that have fallen apart at the binding. The first 100 pages or so have come out of the books with only minimal use. WotC Customer Service on this topic is yet to be fully reviewed, as they require you to ship them the book and your receipt before they will acknowledge whether or not they'll replace the book. I just ordered my 3rd book. Once it arrives, I'll mail back the other 2 and see what WotC does about it.

Lord Vangarel

First Post

The fifth edition of the Player's Handbook offers a huge variety of options for players whilst managing to keep the core rules system fairly simple and out of the way. Each chapter you would expect is present and although there are minor niggles, spells I'm looking at you, overall fifth edition looks to be shaping up to be a great edition of the game.

Remove ads