Europe (UK, Spain, France, Italy, Germany) Coronavirus deaths to date 67,711
Europe (UK, Spain, France, Italy, Germany) Deaths per day for yesterday 2,576

Perspective helps.

Okay. Let's have fun with numbers.

New York State total deaths per million population - 513

Italy deaths per million population - 338

Spain deaths per million population - 380

France deaths per million population - 229

New York State is the epicenter of the world right now. And yes, New York State also has more deaths per day than any other country.

A few states have it under control. With measures not being fully implemented in many states and those states and others ready to lift what measures they have the USA is in for trouble.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog

New York State is the epicenter of the world right now. And yes, New York State also has more deaths per day than any other country.

A few states have it under control. With measures not being fully implemented in many states and those states and others ready to lift what measures they have the USA is in for trouble.

Not really meaningful.

The comparison you would be looking for would be Northern Italy vs New York State. Not all of Italy vs New York State. I don't have numbers on Northern Italy in isolation though - but I'm sure that it's much closer to New York State in terms of per million population as it's where the virus hit hardest in Italy - probably even surpasses New York State's per million population numbers.

I've not followed Spain close enough to know it's hotspots.

A private, opt in commercial product would be legal. We have things like that already- your mobile devices have GPS “location services” and such. We’ve already seen researchers use that data tracking spring breakers from Florida to their homes to see how they correlated with Covid-19 outbreaks.
Please correct my failing memory, but was Facebook ever fined for its misuse of client data? Again, nothing prevents the government from accessing Facebook’s data by buying access to it, like other institutions.

Let us note that, "this," stands for, "the guarantees of what we consider to be fundamental rights."

"There are lots of ways to work around the guarantees of what we consider to be fundamental rights," doesn't sound good to me.
I think we all agree here. We just disagree about how optimistic to be about the government saveguarding our civil liberties.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Please correct my failing memory, but was Facebook ever fined for its misuse of client data? Again, nothing prevents the government from accessing Facebook’s data by buying access to it, like other institutions.

Oh, several things can prevent the government from using such data. The government cannot do many things that private companies can.

Example - the First Amendment keeps the government from restricting your free speech. But Morrus can do so within the realm of his own website.

In this case, the Fourth Amendment may apply - protection against unusual search and seizure, and need of warrants for the government to access people's private lives.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Working from a different direction:
  • How long (if ever) until the virus is eradicated outside of laboratories?
  • What proportion of people would need to have resistance to the virus to prevent a new outbreak?
My sense this is that the virus will be with us for at least several years, and for a R0 of 2-3, at least 1/2 or 2/3 of folks would need to have resistance to prevent new outbreaks.

We can hope for a treatment or a vaccine, but the likely alternative is that social distancing will need to continue until most folks have been exposed to the virus, and that current strategies are really to stretch the time until that happens so that heath care is not overwhelmed.

I haven't considered to any great extent what happens if folks who acquire the virus obtain no enduring resistance.

Be safe, be well,
Tom Bitonti

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
U.S. Population 330 million
U.S. Coronavirus Deaths to date 23,640
U.S. Deaths per day for yesterday 1,535

Europe (UK, Spain, France, Italy, Germany) Population 324 million
Europe (UK, Spain, France, Italy, Germany) Coronavirus deaths to date 67,711
Europe (UK, Spain, France, Italy, Germany) Deaths per day for yesterday 2,576

Perspective helps.

Oh so it's not that bad. I can go out and pretend this was all just overreaction. Thanks for showing us all the the correct perspective.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

Well, you can pick and choose population dense spots and compare them to less dense spots. I mean, you could also compare the US as a whole to one badly struck city in Italy, and get the opposite conclusion. You can pick a single house in Iceland where one person lived and sadly died, giving you a figure of a million deaths per million population, declaring that the world epicentre.

A fairer comparison might be New York City vs. London or another equally similarly size/dense city.

In the long run, each situation is unique in terms of population density, geography, mobility, degree of social distancing, age of population, and how far into the pandemic it is. We don't really have the tools to compare them here.

Remove ads