D&D and the rising pandemic

Hussar

Legend
Ok, someone explain this to me and please, type slowly because I certainly am having trouble wrapping my head around this.

Protesters in Florida are calling this a massive government over reach and rights violation. Ok. Fair enough. I disagree, but, let's say they're right. How can they then also be marching in favor of Trump? After all, he's the president. If there were government over reaches and rights violations, he's the one who is doing it.

What is the logic here. What is the A to B to C because, I'm just not seeing it. How do you protest federal government policies at the same time support the sitting president? How does that work?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Ok, someone explain this to me and please, type slowly because I certainly am having trouble wrapping my head around this.

Protesters in Florida are calling this a massive government over reach and rights violation. Ok. Fair enough. I disagree, but, let's say they're right. How can they then also be marching in favor of Trump? After all, he's the president. If there were government over reaches and rights violations, he's the one who is doing it.

What is the logic here. What is the A to B to C because, I'm just not seeing it. How do you protest federal government policies at the same time support the sitting president? How does that work?

Identity politics. They embrace a particular partisan identity that allows them to square that circle without having to actually think it through and sort out the contradictions.

Zardnaar

Legend

Might also be a state mandate not federal.

Election here delayed a month since Auckland's in lockdown. Was scheduled for Sep 19.

If anyone wants to compare responses first 5 minutes maybe.

She normally reassures and works her way up to the bad news.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer

The health mandates are issued by State and/or County officials, not Federal.

And the pre-existing toxic partisanship was not set aside in the face of a new and different problem.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Protesters in Florida are calling this a massive government over reach and rights violation. Ok. Fair enough. I disagree, but, let's say they're right. How can they then also be marching in favor of Trump? After all, he's the president.

I will warn folks about politics. However, I think we can answer this in-bounds....

Mask mandates and stay at home orders and limits on business occupancy and all are coming from Governors and States, not the Federal Government. They are protesting their local government action, not federal government action.

Zardnaar

Legend
Anti lockdown protest here.

6ed8140.png

Difference from last time they're having to quash social media rumors.

Election delayed one month. Opposition played political fun and games and they plummeted in the polls (46% to 25-32%)

US playbook doesn't seem to work so well.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Anti lockdown protest here.

View attachment 124765

Difference from last time they're having to quash social media rumors.

Election delayed one month. Opposition played political fun and games and they plummeted in the polls (46% to 25-32%)

US playbook doesn't seem to work so well.
Sorry, I'm from America. I can't tell an anti-mask protest without at least one Trump 2020 or Don't Tread On Me sign.

To me this just looks like a group of people hanging out in a plaza.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
To me this just looks like a group of people handing out in a plaza.

I daresay it may well be. This isn't just a poor anti-mask protest. It is just a poor protest, in general. If folks cannot tell what you're protesting by looking at you, there's not a whole lot of point to protesting.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
From the Texas Medical Association, a chart of relative risks of C19 exposure:
dTigzim.jpg

Dubai is deploying COVID-sniffing dogs at points of entry, like airports. (Claimed accuracy rate over 90%.)

Also, Israeli scientists may have developed a 95% accurate, lightning fast C19 test. If true, this could be a profound game changer:

Zardnaar

Legend
Sorry, I'm from America. I can't tell an anti-mask protest without at least one Trump 2020 or Don't Tread On Me sign.

To me this just looks like a group of people hanging out in a plaza.

Apparently they got 15-20 people later on.

Going for part 2 this weekend.

Remove ads