D&D and the rising pandemic

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Idiocy at a local bar (not too far from FL, just GA in between us and them). The video at the top is something else, but there's one in a tweet in the middle of the article. A friend who saw the video noted that the misting fan blowing on everyone seems like a nice touch... for maximizing spread.

The University has rented rooms in a local hotel to add more quarantine space.

And Saliva testing is paused because a lab staffer became sick

Last edited:

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Our university apparently waits until close of day Friday to update our University dashboard (I think the capacity % is given new rooms they just acquired from a hotel).

Attachments

• 1599257669428.png
    1599257669428.png
    107.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 1599257752960.png
    1599257752960.png
    34 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Based on discussion above and national news stories (and a family member's very different experience at a small college), I can see colleges with off-campus housing to tell those students to move on-campus ... where some adults can keep an eye on them.

I expect crackdowns on "Party U" fraternities / sororities, presently followed by "campus is dry" policies for student housing.

ccs

41st lv DM
Based on discussion above and national news stories (and a family member's very different experience at a small college), I can see colleges with off-campus housing to tell those students to move on-campus ... where some adults can keep an eye on them.

I expect crackdowns on "Party U" fraternities / sororities, presently followed by "campus is dry" policies for student housing.

Except that there's places doing the exact opposite of that & closing housing as dorms & on-campus housing become infected.

So all you'll have is a chaotic mess with people dashing back & forth....

Cadence

Legend
Supporter

I'd guess most large campuses only have room for something like 1/3rd to 1/2 of their student body on campus - so there's no place to move them too...

Except that there's places doing the exact opposite of that & closing housing as dorms & on-campus housing become infected.

So all you'll have is a chaotic mess with people dashing back & forth....

Here so far they have room to quarantine folks on campus (who lived their already) and not send them home. The folks off campus are supposed to quarantine themselves (I bet we can all guess how well that will work).

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
In case you missed it, POTUS’ latest “outsider“ medical expert, Dr. Atlas, is a radiologist who favors herd immunity...and gets some of his stats from the same place Trump does- from thin air. Get your salt licks ready, you’re going to need many grains.

Atlas said a better comparison was of “excess mortality,” a measure of how many more people died during a period of time than had been expected to, based on historical patterns.

“Europe has done 38 percent worse than the United States in excess mortality,” he said. “No one talks about this.”

Trump and Republicans have repeatedly asserted in recent weeks that excess mortality in Europe is 40 percent higher than that in the United States. The principal problem with this assertion is that it is not true. Trump appears to have simply made up the statistic, and a fact check of the claim by the Annenberg Public Policy Center found it to be false.

It is not clear where the 38 percent figure cited by Atlas comes from.

Last edited:

Remove ads