D&D and the rising pandemic

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
If it costs the whole of us or the country $12 billion, that's so remote that it's abstract. It might as well not even exist. And that's the problem - people making these bad decisions think so individualistically that they can't seem to grasp the broader implications of what it does to us as a whole.

And you're putting it in terms of money.

Let's note that covid-19 has a roughly 3% mortality rate in the US. So, if Sturgis is responsible for 250,000 cases, it is then responsible for the 7,500 deaths that are statistically likely to ensue.

In a pandemic where a significant disease vector is asymptomatic transmission- such as it is with C19- asymptomatic transmission will rise to the legal requirement of “immanence” in almost any court of initial jurisdiction. Any court that doesn’t follow the science on that will likely get their findings overruled by a higher court.

I want to believe this.

Besides the caveat Umbran pointed out, In most cases, federal law trumps state law. Someone relying on a state law to override federal disclosure requirements is playing Russian roulette with only one bullet removed from the revolver.

1. The multibillion dollar marijuana industry in the US disagrees with you.

2. Do you actually think the current federal government would even consider stepping in to uphold a law requiring masks? From what I can see, the feds are one of the biggest sources of the fight against requiring them.

Not only that, but even the ADA has provisions regarding legal involuntary disclosure of a patient’s conditions (though most of the defining thereof is in case law).
http://www.adagreatlakes.org/Public...entiality_Requirements_Under_the_ADA_2018.pdf

Everything I read in my skim through that doc was about employer/employee relationships. Stores/customers/etc are a different case. Check out these two examples:

Places like stores and service providers are actually forbidden from asking for proof of a medical condition that requires accommodations like service dogs or wheelchairs. Just claiming it is completely sufficient. AFAIK, this has never been challenged in the court for masks, but I suspect it will go the same way.

It is unfortunate that years of work to make the world more fair to people disabilities has created a number of backdoors for those that want to abuse the system. And while there may be theoretical penalties for individuals who falsely claim special treatment, the risk is larger for companies that don't want to risk accidentally denying special treatment when asked.

The base charge is almost always going to be trespassing or disturbing the peace because the person making the claim is doing so in a place of business- a.k.a. someone else’s private property- and those are the most common grounds for ejection. They break down like this:
And private businesses can likewise insist on masks as a condition of entry. Those “No shirt, no shoes, no service” signs are perfectly legal and enforceable...and originally based in state & federal public health regs, Heck, even non-health related dress codes are enfoceav as long as they’re not discriminatory in nature or enforcement.

This is the part that I find terrifying on a personal level. If I'm in a store and someone else refuses to wear a mask, there's little I can do personally to make them wear it. I could call the police and report it. But if the base charge needs to be trespassing or disturbing the peace, I'm relying on the store to ask the person to don a mask. If the store decides they don't want to get involved, there's nothing I can do. That's why I firmly believe we need much stricter mask laws; the current ones just don't cut it.

If the state can order you to get an injection, forcing you to wear a mask is kid stuff.

The anti-vax movement is working very hard to prevent this exact thing, and they're having a depressing amount of success with it.

I do admire your positive thinking in all this, I just don't share it.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
1. The multibillion dollar marijuana industry in the US disagrees with you.

No, it doesn't. There's simply enough profit in it for them to take the risk.

2. Do you actually think the current federal government would even consider stepping in to uphold a law requiring masks? From what I can see, the feds are one of the biggest sources of the fight against requiring them.

The Federal government cannot uphold a State law, order, or ordinance. Not their jurisdiction.

Places like stores and service providers are actually forbidden from asking for proof of a medical condition that requires accommodations like service dogs or wheelchairs. Just claiming it is completely sufficient.

You're missing the point. The question is not whether the store can ask for proof, as we were talking about what happens in court.

John doesn't want to wear a mask. Jane owns a small market. John comes to the store, without a mask. Jane, following local ordinances, orders and policies, says John cannot enter. John claims an ADA exemption.

Jane doesn't have to ask for proof. She doesn't have to (and indeed, cannot legally) allow John inside the store. She offers John accommodation - give her a list of what's needed and she'll have someone gather the items and bring them out. John, being a putz, raises a fuss, and the thing ends up in court in one of many possible ways.

THE COURT asks John on what basis he claims the ADA exemption. Now, John does have to prove that he actually has a relevant condition. If he does not, his entire case is fraudulent, and John himself is in deep kimchee.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
We had 9 sororities going into quarantine each with 4 or 5 cases all since Aug 23 ... yeh boom sororities are a bad idea right now. And the USA is kind of too.

Zardnaar

Legend
We had 9 sororities going into quarantine each with 4 or 5 cases all since Aug 23 ... yeh boom sororities are a bad idea right now. And the USA is kind of too.

Well it's a month today since Covid 2.0.

It's about 10% of the size of 1.0, 2 deaths total so far. Peaked at 13 cases a day they've hammered it down to 2-5 cases a day.

Takes about a month to get that last trickle down to 0. Might take slightly longer due to things like churches and it's getting harder to get people to comply.

Mostly the US style evangelical churches that prey on the Pasifika community's.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I had to check. We were up to 12 quarantined Greek Houses (out of 20 possible iirc) on September 4th. :-/

Two of the big dorms on the UW-Madison campus have just been quarantined. That's over 2200 students. All of the kids are being tested in them - one's got a 10% positive rate, the other 17%... so far.
The whole campus has shifted to the next 2 weeks strictly online.

Remove ads