D&D and the rising pandemic

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I don’t know if it will affect HIS position- I doubt it will- but I have to wonder about those who still think this is a hoax. I mean, will they finally grok that the pandemic is REAL, or will they simply shift conspiracy theories?

Will the First Couple’s illness be evidence to them that C19 is real...but created in a lab as a weapon that has now been successfully deployed in the White House?
Conversely,
If President Trump takes hydrochloroquine and kicks his case of COVID in a few days, will the lockdown advocates realize there are better ways to beat an epidemic than persecuting the healthy while letting the infected roam free?

ccs

41st lv DM
Conversely,
If President Trump takes hydrochloroquine and kicks his case of COVID in a few days, will the lockdown advocates realize there are better ways to beat an epidemic than persecuting the healthy while letting the infected roam free?

You mean like locking the infected up for the good of the rest of us?

CapnZapp

Legend
Conversely,
If Trump easily kicks the disease that would be a disaster for logic- and evidence based responses.

Ryujin

Legend
If Trump easily kicks the disease that would be a disaster for logic- and evidence based responses.

And given that most people either have no, or minor symptoms, that is very likely. He also gets almost daily medical care (unlike the vast majority of Americans) so, despite being in at least two at-risk groups, he'll quite likely have few issues.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
If President Trump takes hydrochloroquine ...

It is unlikely that he will take hydroxychloroquine. Lack of evidence that it is effective aside, the FDA has cautioned against its use for covid-19, due to its increased risk of heart arrhythmia, blood disorders, and liver and kidney damage. Giving such a drug to an overweight 74 year old world leader who may have had a cardiac or stroke event in the past few years would be highly irresponsible medicine, and likely be a career ender if anything goes wrong.

will the lockdown advocates realize there are better ways to beat an epidemic than persecuting the healthy while letting the infected roam free?

In a word? No.

In more words: No, because one man having a mild case when we already know most cases are mild proves nothing. His additional mild case doesn't change the picture at all for anyone listening to statistics and epidemiology. His one case is statistically insignificant.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
...will the lockdown advocates realize there are better ways to beat an epidemic than persecuting the healthy while letting the infected roam free?

I think this needs to be revisited.

The people we know are infected don't go free. They self-quarantine. There have been 7.3 million known infected people in the US, and we don't have appropriate facilities to forcibly quarantine them, nor infrastructure to properly care for them in a centralized manner. And if you thought people can raise a stink about asking them to wear masks, imagine what what would happen if you started stuffing them in poorly managed covid-camps.

Meanwhile, dealing with the people we already know are infected is a reactive strategy. The person has already caught the disease, and already had a chance to spread it, before you know they are infected. Lockdowns are a proactive strategy, dealing with the possible spread before it happens, rather than after.

CapnZapp

Legend
In more words: No, because one man having a mild case when we already know most cases are mild proves nothing. His additional mild case doesn't change the picture at all for anyone listening to statistics and epidemiology. His one case is statistically insignificant.
I believe Trump will take every opportunity to brag about defeating the disease and use himself as an argument to further downplay the very real pandemic.

Your arguments are of course sound and logical, but that won't stop him.

The possibility of a fully recovered Trump that insinuates only Liberals die from this conspiracy makes me shake my head...

Retreater

Legend
I believe Trump will take every opportunity to brag about defeating the disease and use himself as an argument to further downplay the very real pandemic.

Your arguments are of course sound and logical, but that won't stop him.

The possibility of a fully recovered Trump that insinuates only Liberals die from this conspiracy makes me shake my head...
He probably doesn't even actually have it. Just wants to brag about beating it and that it's "not a big deal."

Remove ads