D&D and the rising pandemic

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Considering all the languages & words in the world, we really didn't run out of names for them.
I’m sure that you know that they generate a list that they work from. But your response makes me think about some of the possibilities. On the one hand, the names could be rude, political, numerous, disgusting, etc., but given how dangerous they are, the unintended consequences.

Who would evacuate from Hurricane Cuddles? How would you feel if you lost all your worldly possessions to Hurricane Taco?

ccs

41st lv DM
I’m sure that you know that they generate a list that they work from. But your response makes me think about some of the possibilities. On the one hand, the names could be rude, political, numerous, disgusting, etc., but given how dangerous they are, the unintended consequences.

Who would evacuate from Hurricane Cuddles? How would you feel if you lost all your worldly possessions to Hurricane Taco?

Well, those would be examples of poor word/name choices.
But you know what? So is a name like Dolly. Not very frightening sounding that one. Now Hurricane Githyankee..... Or Tropical Storm Hydra....

And yes, I know how they generate & rotate their naming list. I think it's stupid. At the very least it's short sighted. Especially in the here & now and going forward. I mean, 1) it doesn't take much effort to expand each of the letters by say +3 names. 2) There's plenty of names out there & 3) predictions are that things will keep worsening. So maybe it's time to revise the naming protocols.

Hussar

Legend
I keep forgetting you folks keep naming your storms. We just number the Typhoons here. This year's been fairly mild on this side of the Pacific. Typhoon 14 is headed our way this weekend. Last one was a bit of a doozy but, this one's supposed to be not so bad.

And, happily, Fukuoka Prefecture is under 500 cases. Woot. Not bad for a population of a touch over 5 million. And, now we have the Go Go Japan campaign starting to jump start tourism in the country. They are bound and determined to have the Olympics here next year.

Mallus

Legend
I'm am eagerly awaiting hurricane Alpha-Omega (will it be radioactive? why not, it's 2020!).

Probably because we don't own property in Florida or along the Gulf Coast. And because my wife and I watched way too many SyFy Channel disaster movies.

Zardnaar

Legend
I'm am eagerly awaiting hurricane Alpha-Omega (will it be radioactive? why not, it's 2020!).

Probably because we don't own property in Florida or along the Gulf Coast. And because my wife and I watched way too many SyFy Channel disaster movies.

Don't say that I think they mentioned nuking a hurricane.

Our glorious leader.

IMG_20201007_180449.jpg

Election just over a week.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Don't say that I think they mentioned nuking a hurricane.

Our glorious leader.

Election just over a week.

I don't know if there's anyone else on the boards from New Zealand, however, the "no politics" rule isn't just "no US politics". Your elections are not really something for discussion here.

Remove ads