D&D and the rising pandemic

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Mind me asking what you do for a living and what your social circle of friends are?

I haven't been part of any extended bubbles. I have had very little in-person social interaction in the past seven months.

They're not crazies just human.

I didn't say they were crazies. I said that that seemed to have willfully chosen to take the risk - in a place where, by yoru description, they shoudl know the covid-rates were not good, and knew full well others present weren't and hadn't been following guidelines, and so I am not terribly sympathetic. If you choose to jump in a pool that you can see is full of alligators, I am not going to extend much sympathy if you get bit.

If your job requires you to have contact, I have tons of sympathy.

Zardnaar

Legend
I haven't been part of any extended bubbles. I have had very little in-person social interaction in the past seven months.

I didn't say they were crazies. I said that that seemed to have willfully chosen to take the risk - in a place where, by yoru description, they shoudl know the covid-rates were not good, and knew full well others present weren't and hadn't been following guidelines, and so I am not terribly sympathetic. If you choose to jump in a pool that you can see is full of alligators, I am not going to extend much sympathy if you get bit.

It's easy to claim if you're privledge enough to live in a nice area or are in certain cultures.

Family is a big thing in some cultures and if you live in an area were lootings and shootings are a thing I imagine it's harder to be perfect.

I assume you're aware the virus had impacted non whites and low income suburbs harder?

They're not poor as such but can't isolate in a nice house with all the amenities with similar neighbours.

Gangs are a thing there so after 6 months you take a break and that's when things can go wrong.

I'm guessing you haven't experienced looting and live in an area where you have a 2 metre fence and have dogs and guns for security because Murica?

Last edited:

I know numerous people who have sent their kids back to school. Some live in areas that don't support great remote options. Some can't stay home with the kids full time. Some have kids that are at a critical age for socialization and hands on learning, and they decided the risk of long term isolation during the formative years was a greater long term risk than COVID. Some feel that sports are their kid's best chance at getting into a good college.

I don't agree with the choices of any of these parents. I am upset that the world isn't taking the proper steps to end the pandemic, and these parents are part of the problem. But I still have the capacity to feel for them if they get sick (or, god forbid, die). Perhaps a bit of empathy on your part, rather than sympathy, would go a long way.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
It feels like its all degrees.

Do you decontaminate all of your packages you get and not get any carry out food? If not, you could be safer, right? (I mean, the risks are small, but not zero).

My son is going back to scouts - its outside or in a garage with a garage door and side door open and everyone masked, with 10 or fewer people. That more virus dangerous than keeping him home non-stop and less dangerous than having him go play unmasked at a bunch of friends houses (this is his first time with any friends here since March except for RC boating from opposite sides of a 30' pool, and one spaced out hike by the river in the summer).

With all three groups having isolated pretty well for months, this summer nine of us met on an annual family trip to a cabin. Our trio didn't go in any restaurants driving the 20 hours and slept in the car instead of a hotel. Thats more virus dangerous than seeing no one for nine months but less bad than having stopped along the way, or staying with anyone who hadn't been being cautious, or staying with a big group.

Assuming the party wasn't 25 people (or whatnot) crammed in a house all unmasked, I definitely feel bad for them after they'd been locked down for so long :-( And even if it was a stupidly big group being incautious, I assume we've all done something inane at some point in our lives, and most of us have been lucky enough not to die or be disabled from it. On the other hand, the folks who regularly do it... at some point it is all on them (and the easier life is for them otherwise, the sooner and more blame I give them).

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
It feels like its all degrees.

Do you decontaminate all of your packages you get and not get any carry out food? If not, you could be safer, right? (I mean, the risks are small, but not zero).

My son is going back to scouts - its outside or in a garage with a garage door and side door open and everyone masked, with 10 or fewer people. That more virus dangerous than keeping him home non-stop and less dangerous than having him go play unmasked at a bunch of friends houses (this is his first time with any friends here since March except for RC boating from opposite sides of a 30' pool, and one spaced out hike by the river in the summer).

With all three groups having isolated pretty well for months, this summer nine of us met on an annual family trip to a cabin. Our trio didn't go in any restaurants driving the 20 hours and slept in the car instead of a hotel. Thats more virus dangerous than seeing no one for nine months but less bad than having stopped along the way, or staying with anyone who hadn't been being cautious, or staying with a big group.

Assuming the party wasn't 25 people (or whatnot) crammed in a house all unmasked, I definitely feel bad for them after they'd been locked down for so long :-( And even if it was a stupidly big group being incautious, I assume we've all done something inane at some point in our lives, and most of us have been lucky enough not to die or be disabled from it. On the other hand, the folks who regularly do it... at some point it is all on them (and the easier life is for them otherwise, the sooner and more blame I give them).

I've got another mate in California and he's running scouts doing something similar there out in the Sierra Nevadas.

He loves the outdoors, has been to NZ loves hiking etc.

Is it ideal probably not. He's taking precautions is it 100% safe? Probably not.

Even with the best intentions though eventually you gotta do something.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I know right?
Honestly at this point I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

sad kristen bell GIF

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
OMG.

At times, I swear she was measuring him up to see if she could make a coat out of him as she lined up another swing with her rhetorical club.

Probably won’t change any minds, but that was a thing of beauty.

And I don’t think that style would work well in current day USA. We’ve already got people wearing shirts suggesting the lynching of journalists. A young, female journalist getting confrontational with an American analog of that fellow would just play into their narrative.
She did tear into his actions, better than political adversaries do in the US.

Zardnaar

Legend
Well the news here in my own country might be silent about the surge in Covid-19 cases, but at least the BBC is paying attention.
(TW: US Politics)

Back in March I gave links to the BBC, Reuter, RNZ and the health department advice to some American friends.

One didn't know about Italy and then France.

She was a manager in USA aged care company.

BBC is usually reasonably good for free source.

Remove ads