D&D and the rising pandemic

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The school system has been given enough vaccines to vaccinate the school staff.

Probably not. The school system probably hasn't been given vaccines at all. School systems in the US don't generally have staff trained in administering vaccines. They don't generally have the freezers required to store these vaccines either.

By the sound of it, the school system is probably being told that a vaccine clinic will be coming through schools in some order, or the staff must be organized to come through some other facility.

Last edited:

moriantumr

Explorer
My wife, a high school teacher, was informed that they could sign up for the vaccine, which they don’t have enough for all to receive. She would then have to travel 35 minutes to where they would give it to her, between 9 and 4, during a school day, which they are required to take a personal leave day to go and get a vaccine. Oh, and they will not guarantee that they would give the second injection.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Why are you so determined to make it into a/another point of grudge and suspicion and resentment?

I'm not.

First, take the context - vaccine administration has been slow. I'd be unsurprised to learn that may be weeks or months before they get through all the staff of the school system. If it takes one weekend to go through all of them, then I retract my disagreement.

I am noting that, given the bottlenecks in administering vaccines, the school system should be prioritizing the order in which their staff gets them - highest risk first. If this is, as you say, all about getting the schools back open for the kids, what I'm saying will get the schools of the kids most in need open sooner, with more of the teachers and staff healthy. Doing this in a smart order is directly aligned with the educational mission.

Further, I note that using an alphabetical order is a fairly transparent indication that they aren't doing this. The blatant lack of consideration from people whose job it is to consider these things is a problem.

And, let us repeat, this would have been DIRT SIMPLE. It isn't like we are saying they need to start a multi-month research project. The school system should already have the data, already makes decisions based on the same data. They already know which schools have more economically underprivileged kids. If they don't, they are incompetent, and deserve jeers anyway.

You folks seem to be arguing that the institution in charge of educating kids can be allowed to be stupid itself!

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Logistics and the allocation of scarce resources, not to mention public health in general, used to be something the United States was a leader at.

....while the rollout of a number of different vaccines, each with different protocols, would necessarily be difficult, watching how badly it has unfolded has been eye-opening.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Logistics and the allocation of scarce resources, not to mention public health in general, used to be something the United States was a leader at.

Oh, the expertise still exists. We just didn't apply it. My understanding is that the plans of the Pandemic Response Team had this sort of thing covered.

...watching how badly it has unfolded has been eye-opening.

Yes - the lesson learned is that if you don't apply yourself, an exceptional past will stay in the past.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
My mom got her first vaccine yesterday! I cannot wait for my family to get vaccinated, though my brother and his wife will probably be far lower down on the priority list. My brother and sister in law, niece and nephew, and mom and dad have all been bubbling, but I've been keeping myself out of the bubble to keep them safe (especially when my partner has been working with COVID patients). It has been emotionally difficult.

@Imaculata any updates on your dad? I've been thinking of you.

@Imaculata any updates on your dad? I've been thinking of you.

They have lowered his medication, which should wake him up. But so far, that isn't happening. He still requires a lot of oxygen, which is also not a very good sign. They'll be making a CT scan of his lungs today. Tomorrow me and my sister will learn more after a long talk with the doctor. I am preparing myself for bad news. Your thoughts and worries however are appreciated.

Just a heads up for all you smokers out there. If you ever get a lung infection like my dad did, all those years of ruining your lungs will come to haunt you... as it has now with my dad.

Edit: It's not looking good for my dad. I don't think this tale is going to have a happy end.

Last edited:

cmad1977

Hero
They have lowered his medication, which should wake him up. But so far, that isn't happening. He still requires a lot of oxygen, which is also not a very good sign. They'll be making a CT scan of his lungs today. Tomorrow me and my sister will learn more after a long talk with the doctor. I am preparing myself for bad news. Your thoughts and worries however are appreciated.

Just a heads up for all you smokers out there. If you ever get a lung infection like my dad did, all those years of ruining your lungs will come to haunt you... as it has now with my dad.

Edit: It's not looking good for my dad. I don't think this tale is going to have a happy end.

I’m sorry you have to go through this.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Probably not. The school system probably hasn't been given vaccines at all. School systems in the US don't generally have staff trained in administering vaccines. They don't generally have the freezers required to store these vaccines either.

By the sound of it, the school system is probably being told that a vaccine clinic will be coming through schools in some order, or the staff must be organized to come through some other facility.

In fact, the head of the Los Angeles County school system is trying to convince the state that they can administer vaccines (I gather they've had flu clinics before) and the nursing staff can watch for abreactions. I don't know how true it is, but it doesn't seem self-evidently impossible, given pharmacies to a lot of that.

Remove ads