D&D and the rising pandemic

Filthy Lucre

Adventurer
If this is too political, please let me know!

I've been reading articles about "red Covid" (Covid deaths are much higher now in Republican-voting states and counties) and it makes me think about how we as a country treat inequality. For example, there is supposed to be intervention when there is, say, lead in the drinking water. I wonder if we are going to have to develop a new concept of "information inequality" in order to solve this problem.
The problem will solve itself ;D

BookTenTiger

He / Him
The problem will solve itself ;D
I'm not sure this kind of judgment is useful. As much as I may disagree with the politics of communities who are refusing vaccines, celebrating their deaths isn't helpful.

I think a lot of people in these communities are victims of false information. While we have always known that disinformation can be damaging, but I think we are truly seeing now how deadly it can be. I'm hoping this helps us see misinformation as an equality issue, not just a partisan issue.

Filthy Lucre

Adventurer
I'm not sure this kind of judgment is useful. As much as I may disagree with the politics of communities who are refusing vaccines, celebrating their deaths isn't helpful.

I think a lot of people in these communities are victims of false information. While we have always known that disinformation can be damaging, but I think we are truly seeing now how deadly it can be. I'm hoping this helps us see misinformation as an equality issue, not just a partisan issue.
I'm not "celebrating" their deaths - I just don't care.

I may be more pessimistic on this issue than you are: I do not believe this divide we're seeing can be bridged, ever. Victims of false information or not, there are certain communities that are clearly more susceptible to it than others and I do not believe there is anything we can do to change people's predispositions.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I've been reading articles about "red Covid" (Covid deaths are much higher now in Republican-voting states and counties) and it makes me think about how we as a country treat inequality. For example, there is supposed to be intervention when there is, say, lead in the drinking water. I wonder if we are going to have to develop a new concept of "information inequality" in order to solve this problem.

The observed pattern is not the result of fundamental lack of access or opportunity - these folks have as much access to CNN, Reuters, and NPR as they do to Fox News, and nothing is preventing them from choosing differently. So isn't very analogous to most inequalities we see, and the usual approaches to inequality do not apply.

Last edited:

BookTenTiger

He / Him
I'm not "celebrating" their deaths - I just don't care.

I may be more pessimistic on this issue than you are: I do not believe this divide we're seeing can be bridged, ever. Victims of false information or not, there are certain communities that are clearly more susceptible to it than others and I do not believe there is anything we can do to change people's predispositions.
So just to be clear, putting a winky face after talking about people you don't agree with dying is usually interpreted as celebrating their death.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
The observed pattern is not the result of fundamental lack of access or opportunity, and so isn't very analogous to most inequalities we see, and so the usual approaches to inequality do not apply.
The fact that COVID deaths are tracking along political lines makes me wonder if we do need to treat this as an equity issue, though. If higher death rates are linked to a lack of a resource (information or education), at what point does it become analogous with other inequalities?

I don't have any finalized ideas about this, but I think it's interesting to think about, and also perhaps a more humane approach.

Filthy Lucre

Adventurer
So just to be clear, putting a winky face after talking about people you don't agree with dying is usually interpreted as celebrating their death.
You can be amused by something and not celebrate it. And to even couch this in terms of 'agreement' is absurd and dishonest. This isn't a "disagreement" about whether 5e or 3.5 is the best edition of D&D. It's over objective, demonstrable facts.

When people who huff bleach to own the libs die, it's funny. That doesn't mean I think that they deserved to die, or that I'm glad that they're dead.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The fact that COVID deaths are tracking along political lines makes me wonder if we do need to treat this as an equity issue, though. If higher death rates are linked to a lack of a resource (information or education), at what point does it become analogous with other inequalities?

We should note, "linked to," and, "is caused by" are not equivalent, and that can muddy the question of how to deal with the issue. Correlation does not imply causation, and all that.

Anyone who can watch FOX News can watch CNN, and so on - so it is not a matter of lack of the information resource.

What analysis I have seen suggests that economic status and education levels (which are not independent) are not strong predictors here. Yes, we get the image in media of uneducated folks not getting vaccinated, but that's anecdotal, and ignores how many uneducated or lower-income folks do get vaccinated, when the vaccines are made available.

That leaves the strong suggestion that "freedumb" as it has been called here, is mostly a political problem, and not an access issue.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter

A lot of stories about schadenfreude in the media lately...

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
A lot of stories about schadenfreude in the media lately...

So, as we look at this, we should remember that it isn't just simple schadenfreude.

Generally speaking, the people we are talking about aren't just rejecting vaccines now, for example. They have broadly been resisting and eschewing any and all approaches to controlling the issue - masking, avoiding group gatherings, lockdowns, and so on. So, these people are not just victims. They are not just victims of their own bad choices. Many of us, and our families, and our economic situations, are victims of their choices. The entire pandemic would have been under better control if not for their recalcitrance. A great many of the nearly 700K deaths in the US were preventable, but for them.

Basically, in aggregate, they have been committing a kind of assault against the rest of us. Pardon us if we don't care much when they commit assault against themselves too.

Remove ads