D&D and the rising pandemic

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I feel your pain. I live in such an area, too, where wearing a mask often draws sneers and condemnation. A few weeks ago, a nurse in a hospital lobby went out of her way to inform me that masks aren't required there, and the stink-eye I got when I said "okay" but kept it on was truly Sauronian.

It's so disheartening and so exhausting to witness so many people derive such joy from being giant throbbing dks toward fellow human beings. It really has taken a serious toll on my faith in humanity, and depresses me utterly.

Ugh. I know.

Look, I understand (well, not really, but I fake it) people that aren't doing the right thing.

But the people that aggressively and angrily make a point of going after those of us who are trying to do the right thing? C'mon. If you can't be part of the solution, at least don't be part of the problem.

(That said, a person near and dear to me has the opposite issue- they are positively gleeful that Omicron is going to rip through the unvaccinated. It's some version of covidfreude, I guess?)

Zardnaar

Legend
5 months after delta got out here.

28 cases daily cases

Vaccination rate north of 90%. It's like science or something. 57 in hospital, 7 in ICU.

Border reopening plans collapsed with omnicron though. No cases of omnicron in community yet.

Supermarkets here have lines on the ground near the checkouts for distancing. Anecdotally mask use us close to 100% indoors at least. All the checkouts have a perspex screen.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
They've lowered the wait time for boosters from 6 months to 4. Went to website to book but they haven't updated the software yet to allow 4 months instead of 6.

Bureaucracy same the world over.

The Netherlands is ramping up their booster campaign, but they are once again chasing after the facts, as seems to be the trend of our current cabinet. Omicron is already here, and I don't have my booster shot yet (like the majority of our country), and I won't be able to get it until early next year. So the hospitals are almost surely going to get overwhelmed by covid patients during the final stretch of the year. Meanwhile, I can't even ride a train without at least a few people being unmasked, and several others not pulling their mask all the way across nose and mouth.

I find myself in a situation where I am planning around the incompetence of others, to minimize my own risk of exposure. As Christmas approaches, I may have to take a train early as I join my family, to avoid a crowded train full of idiots.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
My wife and I got our vaccine boosters last week. Of the three Covid-19 vaccinations I've gotten (all Pfizer), only the booster caused some bad side effects for me. I felt completely exhausted for days afterward.

You know that feeling you get when you stay up all night and then try to go to work the next morning, where you feel tired and woozy with that dull headache and burning eyes and you can't concentrate on anything for very long? It felt like that, and no amount of sleep, exercise, or coffee would help it. It took three days to get back up to a full battery.

Still: if that's the worst, I can deal.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
The Netherlands is ramping up their booster campaign, but they are once again chasing after the facts, as seems to be the trend of our current cabinet. Omicron is already here, and I don't have my booster shot yet (like the majority of our country), and I won't be able to get it until early next year. So the hospitals are almost surely going to get overwhelmed by covid patients during the final stretch of the year. Meanwhile, I can't even ride a train without at least a few people being unmasked, and several others not pulling their mask all the way across nose and mouth.

I find myself in a situation where I am planning around the incompetence of others, to minimize my own risk of exposure. As Christmas approaches, I may have to take a train early as I join my family, to avoid a crowded train full of idiots.

Basic things so different. Haven't been on a train in years except a few years ago when they did a scenic trip down the coast in a steam train.

Hussar

Legend
I gotta admit, I am stunned that covid didn't hit Japan harder. I mean, outside of a very few countries, no one rides more public transportation than the Japanese. And, the trains never stopped. I still am in utter shock that we weren't hit way harder.

Zardnaar

Legend
I gotta admit, I am stunned that covid didn't hit Japan harder. I mean, outside of a very few countries, no one rides more public transportation than the Japanese. And, the trains never stopped. I still am in utter shock that we weren't hit way harder.

Our cases with delta hit 200/day. Then declined down to 28 today. Delta got here in August. Still covid free locally I was expecting it by Christmas.

Remove ads