• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D and the rising pandemic

Ryujin

Legend
And FINALLY we have a little action in Ottawa. The second of the main organizers, Tamara Lich (No, I didn't make that up) was arrested last night. I can't post about her affiliations, due to posting rules, but it's a simple Google search away and will explain much. They have made more arrests today and it seems like they'll be moving on a bunch of the protesters at Byward Market, a huge tourist attraction, in the near future.

Now streaming live on the CBC News website: https://www.cbc.ca/news

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Converting downtown zones into primarily walking use can be great, but yeah, you need to do other accompanying infrastructure work to make sure other traffic is properly accommodated.

Zardnaar

Legend
Some numbers here.

Feb 10 300 cases yesterday 1900. Daily records amount being broken every other day.

Original outbreak March-May 2020 1500 odd cases total 23 deaths.

Vaccine rates approaching 95% and 50% for boosters there's currently 0 in ICU and last death was several weeks ago. With more daily cases than total cases in original outbreak mostly omicron though.

Approx 30 deaths August 2020-Now. Deltas also lingering around technically that's been in the community since August.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Doing our daily walk in town. Grabbed coffee at one of our favorite places. We're only ones here it's early.

IMG_20220219_092026.jpg

Got some protesters locally.

Population 120k 8 tents or so. They're not smashing the joint up anyway. Cops locally are very mellow the local 4:20 crowd have had protests and puff ups inside the cop shop. Arrests 0 for smoking pot inside the police station.

No mildly moist bus tickets but it's started to rain.

We've had eftpos (Electronic Funds Transfer at Point of Payment) since 1989 or so. Learnt about it in 1991 high school used it a couple of years later.

I've spent $25 cash since Christmas.
Not strictly Covid related, but I don't use much cash ever anymore.

A guy came up to me the other day asking if I could spare a couple bucks, and I realized I haven't touched money in 2-3 months. I didn't even have change in the cupholder of my car.

Ryujin

Legend
There have been more than 60 arrests made in Ottawa. Funny thing is that's not a lot, given that there seemed to be thousands involved. Some have been hiding behind their children, daring police to do something, but it seems like the vast majority are starting to slowly move out. It's almost as if once there are actual consequences, people rethink their actions.... :rolleyes:

Thomas Shey

Legend

A guy came up to me the other day asking if I could spare a couple bucks, and I realized I haven't touched money in 2-3 months. I didn't even have change in the cupholder of my car.

Between a number of us that seem to have hit this state the last couple years, I wonder how much COVID has impacted this trend?

Zardnaar

Legend

Haven't used much cash since 1996. Paywave is in most places now so you don't even need to use a pin number on your card now.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads