D&D and the rising pandemic

The problem with that is you didn't establish what "reasonable" is, and that is TERRIBLY important.

You mean like the part I say this:
all reasonable and informed steps to limit transmission
or the paragraph before that, were, I referenced being in compliance with federal, state, and local authorities. Presumably, which includes, the CDC, and State and Local Health Agencies.

Internet shorthand for all CDC, and State, and Local Health Agency guidelines is reasonable.

Your point is great. Especially when the point is directed against rumors and noise.

Any Internet story that begins “My Sister’s, Cousin’s, brother is a Doctor and they said ‘X’” is on fairly poor footing in terms of reliability.

At the time. The world looked different two weeks ago. Ethics (not morals, ethics) of choices kind of have to be based on what was known at the time. What made sense two weeks ago may seem like a Really Bad Idea (TM) two weeks from now.

Again, Agreed. I think wrote those sentiments, rather explicitly, above, as well.

Great Message. 😄. Keep Sharing it. I support it.

I just think, I am not the correct target, for you to share it with while standing on a soapbox. 😊

Waterbizkit

Explorer
Any Internet story that begins “My Sister’s, Cousin’s, brother is a Doctor and they said ‘X’” is on fairly poor footing in terms of reliability.

It's been a long day and I know this isn't much of a contribution to a thread about a serious issue... but...

Isn't that just your cousin? Your sister's cousin is your cousin. Your cousin's brother is your cousin.

Don't ask me why this stuck out to me so much, it just did. I'll go ask my wife's, friend's neighbors doctor... maybe they'll know.

R_J_K75

Legend
I live in Buffalo, NY. I woke up this morning about 5AM. Within the last 12 hrs basically every public event has been cancelled for the foreseeable future. Pretty sure colleges have gone online too. There's been no confirmed cases here, the closest is about an hour away outside of Rochester. Seems theyre doing the right thing by being proactive but Im pretty confident that it'll be here sooner than later.

slobster

Hero
So just to chime in on the thread, my group just decided to cancel our sessions going forward for a while. We aren't really internet players, so it will just lie fallow for a few weeks while the outbreak (hopefully) blows over. None of us have been sick, but many of us have kids or elderly parents that we interact with regularly, so it seems like the right call to make. I live on the Central California coast.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Ethics (not morals, ethics) of choices kind of have to be based on what was known at the time. What made sense two weeks ago may seem like a Really Bad Idea (TM) two weeks from now.

So true. And what happens in 2020 with respect to the global response to Covid-19 will likely reshape a lot of societies for a generation or more. For good AND ill.

I expect there will be a lot more serious discussion about how to handle this kind of thing, just like every other major disaster has altered “best practices” for first responders, how sovereigns fund preparedness and the like.

I suspect there will also be a longish period of “twichiness” for people, institutions and governments will feel a need to react/overreact if there’s even a whiff of an emergent contagion.

I just hope this isn’t a step towardsAsimov’s The Naked Sun becoming reality.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
I expect there will be a lot more serious discussion about how to handle this kind of thing, just like every other major disaster has altered “best practices” for first responders, how sovereigns fund preparedness and the like.
Ten years ago we had H1N1, I think my government was more prepared back then than now. And they were actually caught completely unprepared. At the time it seemed we all learned a valuable lesson, but people forgot and quickly.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Well, ____ (insert expletive of choice).

It’s in my community as of this morning. Near as I can gather from local news, every school and public event that was scheduled for the coming week or two has been canceled.

I might be frequenting this website more than I usually do over the next month. Total quarantine is impossible for my family, but we’ve already isolated ourselves as best we can.

Remove ads