D&D and the rising pandemic

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
For those of you who think ordering from Amazon is a good/ethical idea.

Last package I bought I got it direct from the publisher. Cost more but oh well.

They've shut down online shopping and delivery here. Use what you have,PDFs/online or take a break IMHO.

I have never thought it was particularly ethical practice. Warehouse or fulfillment centers work their employees to the bone on the regular. Not to mention other reasons to dislike shopping moving online.

So yeah, adding a fatigued person to a pandemic is kindling to fire.

Their fulfillment centers are absolutely dangerous right now, considering how virulent COVID-19 is and the lack of protections afforded the workers. And considering that Amazon's Prime delivery can take place in only 1-3 days, the virus could easily be spread to customers, like wildfire.

I have never thought it was particularly ethical practice. Warehouse or fulfillment centers work their employees to the bone on the regular. Not to mention other reasons to dislike shopping moving online.

So yeah, adding a fatigued person to a pandemic is kindling to fire.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
For those of you who think ordering from Amazon is a good/ethical idea.

Last package I bought I got it direct from the publisher. Cost more but oh well.

They've shut down online shopping and delivery here. Use what you have,PDFs/online or take a break IMHO.
Just one reason to wait for any non-essential shopping, and to use the local E-bay equivalent instead. But really, right now is the time to just stay home, go out for groceries only when needed and keep up with work and school. There'll always be a better time to get nooks, CDs and doodads.

Zardnaar

Legend
Their fulfillment centers are absolutely dangerous right now, considering how virulent COVID-19 is and the lack of protections afforded the workers. And considering that Amazon's Prime delivery can take place in only 1-3 days, the virus could easily be spread to customers, like wildfire.

This. People don't seem to get it yet. Deliveries can bring Covid into your house and the distribution centers right now not the best.

D&D's not essential.

A supermarket distribution center doesn't use that many people relative to preparing the food at home or Amazon shipping non essential crap

There's no takeout her. No coffee except what you make at home.

Functionally we became a police state two days ago. They're closing a few stores who thought they were essential and they're not.

Deaths in USA hit 300 a day and you're just starting.

Here they're preparing quarantine facilities where the cops and/or military will be to happy to drag you off if you don't self isolate.

Zardnaar

Legend
Just one reason to wait for any non-essential shopping, and to use the local E-bay equivalent instead. But really, right now is the time to just stay home, go out for groceries only when needed and keep up with work and school. There'll always be a better time to get nooks, CDs and doodads.

You were one of the ones who thought it was a great idea to buy the D&D basic set.

It's not. D&D will still be there in a month or three.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
You were one of the ones who thought it was a great idea to buy the D&D basic set.

It's not. D&D will still be there in a month or three.
No, I said I predicted the Essentials Kit would go up in sales. Mostly because it is already there when people go grocery shopping and the thing by itself is a good investment for entertainment, and it is on Amazon on a time when online shopping is going through the roof. I didn't mean that everybody should go and get one.

Hussar

Legend
/snip

Deaths in USA hit 300 a day and you're just starting.

Here they're preparing quarantine facilities where the cops and/or military will be to happy to drag you off if you don't self isolate.

Umm, they just hit 1000 deaths in the US. Total. Not 300 a day. Let's not get too hysterical shall we? And, again, even if it was 300, this is a country of 300 million people. More than 300 people a day die in all sorts of ways.

Again, a bit of perspective and calm is far more helpful than panic.

Zardnaar

Legend
Umm, they just hit 1000 deaths in the US. Total. Not 300 a day. Let's not get too hysterical shall we? And, again, even if it was 300, this is a country of 300 million people. More than 300 people a day die in all sorts of ways.

I know the death rate is only a 1000 total but it's been ramping up and it's very early days.

I thought you would have more chance getting shot to death in the USA than Corona but I'm not convinced of that any more.

Sacrosanct

Legend

Yes, a bit of perspective is more helpful. You're completely disregarding how the growth is still exponential. The total number of deaths is not as important as how fast those deaths are happening. And since we know it takes 2 weeks or longer from getting positive to death, we're still two weeks behind as far as data goes in that regard. 2 weeks ago, there were only 27 deaths in the US with 1000 identified positive.

Oofta

Legend
Yes, a bit of perspective is more helpful. You're completely disregarding how the growth is still exponential. The total number of deaths is not as important as how fast those deaths are happening. And since we know it takes 2 weeks or longer from getting positive to death, we're still two weeks behind as far as data goes in that regard. 2 weeks ago, there were only 27 deaths in the US with 1000 identified positive.

Not to mention that we still have no idea how many people actually have the virus because we can't be bothered to roll out effective across-the-board testing.

I'm relatively lucky to be in a state where things haven't completely exploded and they're still putting us on lockdown starting tomorrow night. But they also admit that it's too late for containment, or to "flatten the curve". They're just hoping to line things up so that when it does explode they can handle it.

Between 15-20% of the people that get sick will need hospitalization. Hospitalization increases your chance of survival 10 fold. Add in all the unknowns like 50% of the people in Iceland (where they have done extensive testing) that have antibodies for the virus show no symptoms whatsoever and we don't know if people are immune after recovery.

Remove ads