D&D and the rising pandemic

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Nothing wrong with being blunt. There IS something wrong when you choose your words poorly, inflaming a situation instead of mitigating tensions.

To continue the Doctor/Vet analogy, it’s one thing to say “I’m sorry, but Mary’s condition is terminal.” and quite another to say “Congrats on your impending inheritance- Mary’s a goner for sure!”

ccs

41st lv DM
Eh, it's both. If you say something like, "Old people should die for the economy" like this guy:
It's not always a matter of how you say something.

How much do you want to bet that this guy is nowhere near anyone or anything that could possibly expose him to the coronavirus?

Zardnaar

Legend
3,231 overall confirmed cases in my county in Washington. Only 585 have recovered, and we have 93 deaths. Yesterday, we had 91 deaths, and just over 3,100 cases.
It's not looking good in my city.

I see something about reopening in June.

Korea has closed schools again. I'm guessing lockdown wasn't that strict.

I wouldn't reopen until active cases are 0 or so low you know everyone with it and they're in isolation and random testing turns up 0 cases.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
How much do you want to bet that this guy is nowhere near anyone or anything that could possibly expose him to the coronavirus?
Definitely. Like Trump, hiding from Covid-19 in the White House, with testing every day for everyone who works or visits there. I'm sure that Governor is hiding from the virus if he can. People younger than him have died. People younger than I have died, and I'm 18, with asthma.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I see something about reopening in June.

Korea has closed schools again. I'm guessing lockdown wasn't that strict.

I wouldn't reopen until active cases are 0 or so low you know everyone with it and they're in isolation and random testing turns up 0 cases.
Korea did a pretty good job at locking down. They've just had some people who break the rules, and cause more cases.
I wouldn't open up until it's gone, but that's not going to happen in America.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
To continue the Doctor/Vet analogy...

So, my wife is a veterinarian. Her practice is dedicated to geriatric and hospice care, and end of life.

You people may be different, but in general, when facing death of a loved one, when the patient or client may be needing to make decisions from a state of anticipatory grief, tact and careful choice of wording is what serves most folks best.

Vets with her concentration that are blunt don't stay in practice long. Those that are tactful get 5-star reviews. Take that for what you will.

Zardnaar

Legend
So, my wife is a veterinarian. Her practice is dedicated to geriatric and hospice care, and end of life.

You people may be different, but in general, when facing death of a loved one, when the patient or client may be needing to make decisions from a state of anticipatory grief, tact and careful choice of wording is what serves most folks best.

Vets with her concentration that are blunt don't stay in practice long. Those that are tactful get 5-star reviews. Take that for what you will.

Our vets fairly blunt. People working under him are really nice. He has some amount of tact though just tends towards the clinical side of things.

He's been doing it for a while, I guess you would get jaded after 30 odd years.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Nothing wrong with being blunt. There IS something wrong when you choose your words poorly, inflaming a situation instead of mitigating tensions.

To continue the Doctor/Vet analogy, it’s one thing to say “I’m sorry, but Mary’s condition is terminal.” and quite another to say “Congrats on your impending inheritance- Mary’s a goner for sure!”

A thing: “Terminal” is poor word choice. A condition can be terminal while having an expected end of life anywhere from hours to months to years. I had a cat with progressive kidney failure that was in this state.

‘Better: ”Mary’s condition can be treated, but only to partially restore function. With extensive care, you might extend Mary’s life by several months. Mary has some discomfort now, but that will become gradually worse.”

Communication has to be specific (enough), and accurate (enough), and spoken to truly be informative without injecting noise.

Be Safe, Be Well,
Tom Bitonti

Zardnaar

Legend
Another day of 0 cases.

Long weekend at local pub for meal. Hand sanitizer everywhere and the waiter was good with making you sign in for tracing or using the app.

For a Monday it's quite busy. Sister in law family went to the resort of Queenstown and it was busier than pre Covid apparently.

Limited to 100 people in pub at once. Might be the last hurrah before things fall apart. Next public holiday is in October after wage subsidy runs out.

D&D is a maybe in 3 weeks.

Only 600 tests today due to holiday
Peaked in the 7000+ range.

Last edited:

Remove ads