D&D and the rising pandemic

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Canada just had its lowest one day case increase since mid-March; 111 with 3 deaths.

Ontario recently entered its phase 2 of reopening and is down to 1918 active cases, an amount that continues to drop rapidly despite an increase in testing (though the testing is still behind most competent areas/countries). That is only 131 cases per million population.

Quebec remains the hotspot with 25 845 active cases.

Last edited:

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Looks like Florida and Texas are closing bars down.

Yep. Problem here in the states, I believe is the complex nature of our deeply divisive politics at the moment, and that somehow, it was made a good idea to bring wearing a mask into that whole mess.

A relative literally in an angry and frustrated manner asked me why I was wearing a mask when he saw me.

I told him, "I'm not wearing this for me, I'm wearing it for you."

He's over 65 has a list of health issues already. I just can't understand why something like that would get you so incensed.

As to the rumors. I did hear the one about how if you have COVID-19 wearing the mask just makes you sicker, because you are breathing in those COVID germs. I think that was akin to the 'activates' it. Which is just bizarre. If you have COVID, you have it. Full stop. Breathing in your own germs isn't going to activate it past being just mild or asymptomatic. You are already sick.

cmad1977

Hero
Looks like Florida and Texas are closing bars down.

Yep. Problem here in the states, I believe is the complex nature of our deeply divisive politics at the moment, and that somehow, it was made a good idea to bring wearing a mask into that whole mess.

A relative literally in an angry and frustrated manner asked me why I was wearing a mask when he saw me.

I told him, "I'm not wearing this for me, I'm wearing it for you."

He's over 65 has a list of health issues already. I just can't understand why something like that would get you so incensed.

As to the rumors. I did hear the one about how if you have COVID-19 wearing the mask just makes you sicker, because you are breathing in those COVID germs. I think that was akin to the 'activates' it. Which is just bizarre. If you have COVID, you have it. Full stop. Breathing in your own germs isn't going to activate it past being just mild or asymptomatic. You are already sick.

There are an awful lot of people who don’t understand the very basic functions of their own body.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Ugh.

So, interesting note - those documents refer to the ADA - the Americans with Disabilities Act. That act does not say you need to be served normally. It says that, when at all possible, the business needs to make "reasonable accommodations" for you. "Ma'am, please wait here, we'll have one of our staff shop for you / get your meal to go," is a reasonable accommodation. And trying to pretend you have a disability to get accommodations, when you are not disabled, constitutes fraud. In the mask case, depending on the legal status on masks in the area, it may also be considered creating a public health hazard.
Not just fraud, IMHO, but forgery of a government document. That could be a real wake-up call for some.

(I just noticed today that some wag has created a similar fake card purportedly from the CDC that claims to trump and invalidate the fake ADA cards. While cute, I’ll have to say that’s every bit as legally risky as the sham mask cards, so don’t make one.)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
There are an awful lot of people who don’t understand the very basic functions of their own body.
Mentioned WAAAAAAAAY upthread, America has an incredibly deep well of anti-science/anti-intellectual sentiment, especially in the realms of biology, medicine & health.

(And as @Umbran is no doubt thinking, astronomy.)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Not just fraud, IMHO, but forgery of a government document. That could be a real wake-up call for some.

Technically, But this is all about conversations with a person on the street trying to be a nozzle. It is about someone waving a fake card in your face with a fake threat, and countering with an other fake threat to get them to stand down. Legalistic posturing.

It isn't like any cop and prosecutor you're likely to find are going to engage these laws concerning whether some lady can get a burrito without a mask.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Yes. But the grinding of my teeth notwithstanding, getting astronomy wrong can't usually make you a threat to public health.
Well, until they start launching rockets to prove the earth is flat...as some have done. One got killed that way, as I recall.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases