D&D and the rising pandemic

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Technically, But this is all about conversations with a person on the street trying to be a nozzle. It is about someone waving a fake card in your face with a fake threat, and countering with an other fake threat to get them to stand down. Legalistic posturing.

It isn't like any cop and prosecutor you're likely to find are going to engage these laws concerning whether some lady can get a burrito without a mask.
Police & prosecutorial discretion IS a thing, for good and ill. But consider the states like California, Florida and Texas (where I am) with their rates exploding. Officials are getting antsy about facing the consequences of their own actions and inactions as the floodwaters of victims rise. And those officials who have been critical of reopening are doubtless getting angrier in turn.

If shams like this continue, I would not be surprised at all to see some city or county official in one of those states start arresting and possibly prosecuting people for this, if for no other reason than to set an example.* Demonstrating the gravity of the situation to “maux-rawns“ who think they’re being clever, but are in reality just drawing out a slo-mo disaster.

My guess is Texas would be first to do so. I mean, back in the 1990s, we actually had a few arrests for fake IDs and bars losing liquor licenses over underage drinking.

* Especially since the DOJ has started looking into this. Some of the cards & flyers are using DOJ seals and whatnot.

Last edited:

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I freaking hate Americans now, and I'm one. We've got a serious "education" problem here (Maybe misinformation is better). The people who have spread the conspiracy theories about masks and the messages saying you don't have to be wearing one should be charged with manslaughter, IMHO.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Police & prosecutorial discretion IS a thing, for good and ill. But consider the states like California, Florida and Texas (where I am) with their rates exploding. Officials are getting antsy about facing the consequences of their own actions and inactions as the floodwaters of victims rise. And those officials who have been critical of reopening are doubtless getting angrier in turn.

If shams like this continue, I would not be surprised at all to see some city or county official in one of those states start arresting and possibly prosecuting people for this, if for no other reason than to set an example.

Ah. You live there, so your judgement on this is surely better than mine. I had figured that the folks there are too fact-resistant for that to be an effect, and that the "liberty or death!" contingent would have such official's heads on a platter.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Ah. You live there, so your judgement on this is surely better than mine. I had figured that the folks there are too fact-resistant for that to be an effect, and that the "liberty or death!" contingent would have such official's heads on a platter.
In America, being a "free country" has been the excuse used by many people who don't want to follow the rules for decades now.

Living in a free country doesn't mean that you get to do whatever the heck you want, it means that you're allowed to do what you want until your rights take away from another person's rights. This absolutely applies to the current situation. You have a right to not wear a mask, at home. In public, you absolutely should wear a mask, just in case your not wearing one kills someone.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
They should get a Darwin Award.

The guy who killed himself apparently was only about half as stupid as we might think. He picked up Flat-Earthism as a way to get an audience, he was not a true believer.

He did still believe he could successfully launch and land a self-built pressurized-steam-driven rocket safely, though, which I (and Darwin) would consider a bit of a flaw.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Quite the opposite, because the fact-resistance is flowing from the top down.

When a Dallas-area salon owner reopened her shop despite a county-wide lockdown order and numerous visits from the police, she was arrested, sentenced to 7 days in jail and fined.

...only to have the Governor order her release coupled with the Lt. Governor* paying her fines & court costs.

So it’s no surprise that, given such examples, there are numerous instances of not only people ignoring the various pandemic rules here, but belligerently antagonizing those of us who DO follow the rules.

* the one who said of the risks of reopening Texas’ economy “there are more important things than living and that’s saving this country”.

Last edited:

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Quite the opposite, because the fact-resistance is flowing from the top down.

When a Dallas-area salon owner reopened her shop despite a county-wide lockdown order and numerous visits from the police, she was arrested, sentenced to 7 days in jail and fined.

...only to have the Governor order her released coupled with the Lt. Governor* paying her fines & court costs.

So it’s no surprise that, given such examples, there are numerous instances of not only people ignoring the various pandemic rules here, but belligerently antagonizing those of us who DO follow the rules.

* the one who said of the risks of reopening Texas’ economy “there are more important things than living and that’s saving this country”.
Great post. I hate this nonsense.

Lives > Money and Objects. Apparently most of America has forgotten this sometime throughout the years.

Remove ads