D&D and the rising pandemic

Retreater

Legend
Just curious if any mainland, continental country is really "out of it" yet? (Comparing isolated nations doesn't seem fair.) It seems like nations that handled it well at the beginning are all slipping back into the dangerous territory. My state here in the US was commended for doing excellent at the start, we eased the restrictions eventually, and we're breaking records for deaths and infections nearly every day now. And I don't know if it's because of bad leadership, people not wanting to follow the mandates, or just that this virus is going to spread to everyone eventually anyway.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Meanwhile in the Netherlands, we've been unable to do enough testing for a long time, because the people in charge have close financial ties to local hospital labs, and didn't want to hire German robot labs (that are much better equiped for mass testing).

For your entertainment, check out this wonderful summary of this circus of incompetence, by Dutch comedy show Zondag met Lubach (with subtitles).

(In short: The Dutch Outbreak Management Team (OMT) and our minister of health have severely let us down, and their incompetence has resulted in the loss of thousands of lives.)
That’s some serious Conan O’Brien hair!

Nice clip, too- sad AND funny.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Just curious if any mainland, continental country is really "out of it" yet? (Comparing isolated nations doesn't seem fair.) It seems like nations that handled it well at the beginning are all slipping back into the dangerous territory. My state here in the US was commended for doing excellent at the start, we eased the restrictions eventually, and we're breaking records for deaths and infections nearly every day now. And I don't know if it's because of bad leadership, people not wanting to follow the mandates, or just that this virus is going to spread to everyone eventually anyway.
AFAIK, no. All the countries that share borders with others have some kind of ongoing issues. But you can see marked differences between them based on policy & population compliance, like Sweden vs its neighbors.

Truth is, though, unless & until scientists give us some solid treatments and/or an actual vaccine, public health measures- masks, hand washing, distancing and (if needed) quarantines & lockdowns- are the only real weapons we have in this fight.

Zardnaar

Legend
AFAIK, no. All the countries that share borders with others have some kind of ongoing issues. But you can see marked differences between them based on policy & population compliance, like Sweden vs its neighbors.

Truth is, though, unless & until scientists give us some solid treatments and/or an actual vaccine, public health measures- masks, hand washing, distancing and (if needed) quarantines & lockdowns- are the only real weapons we have in this fight.

Last I looked Vietnam, Cambodia, Mongolia were doing well.

Latin America hot mess, USA not the worst per capita.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Last I looked Vietnam, Cambodia, Mongolia were doing well.

Latin America hot mess, USA not the worst per capita.
“Well“, yes. But they’re not quite as good as places like your home. And because they’re not islands, they’re going to have more issues controlling the entry of infected travelers.

Zardnaar

Legend
“Well“, yes. But they’re not quite as good as places like your home. And because they’re not islands, they’re going to have more issues controlling the entry of infected travelers.

They never really closed the international airports.

USA could have restricted entry and send troops and drones to the border.

Almost 800 billion a year on military may as well use it.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
UofSC continues down, from the high of 1400 earlier in the semester...
Some is probably due to those with mild symptoms avoiding testing, but the positive percent seems good.

Attachments

• 1601149212439.png
    1601149212439.png
    194.6 KB · Views: 76

Zardnaar

Legend

I think some might be better. IDK how good the testing is but yeah very few deaths.

Haven't looked for a few weeks though.

Vietnam.

Fewer cases than NZ, slightly more deaths vastly bigger population.

97 million people 0.4 deaths per million (NZ is 5).

1 million tests done.

Cambodia 15 million people 0 deaths from the look of it.

Vietnam also kept a British expat on life support linger than they would in the UK, he would have died back home.

Seems to fit the criteria of large mainland population and very few cases/deaths.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
There's an appropriate level of smug in the face of 200,000 dead? Would Miss Manners agree with that?
To be fair, Miss Manners would probably frown on ANY level of smug. Best to keep that private.

OTOH, she’s human, soooooo...

And, TBF, our body count is largely due to purely avoidable reasons, so those who are doing it right have some justification in looking down their noses at us. Especially considering the smugness we usually project on the world stage.

As was once written:
giphy.gif

Remove ads