D&D and the rising pandemic

Zardnaar

Legend
To be fair, Miss Manners would probably frown on ANY level of smug. Best to keep that private.

OTOH, she’s human, soooooo...

And, TBF, our body count is largely due to purely avoidable reasons, so those who are doing it right have some justification in looking down their noses at us. Especially considering the smugness we usually project on the world stage.

As was once written:
giphy.gif

I posted an Australian cartoon. There was a context others might not get. How countries tend to see themselves.

USA American exceptionalism (we're great)
Australia. Aussie battler (fight/don't give up)
NZ number 8 fencing wire. (Fix it yourself)

The cartoon had an Aussie batter playing cricket. Batter/battler.

I thought it would be suitably mild to post.

I can't really post some of the other stuff being printed in newspapers and online. Aussies post in NZ reddit and vice versa.

Aussies are blunt.

Hussar

Legend
Just curious if any mainland, continental country is really "out of it" yet? (Comparing isolated nations doesn't seem fair.) It seems like nations that handled it well at the beginning are all slipping back into the dangerous territory. My state here in the US was commended for doing excellent at the start, we eased the restrictions eventually, and we're breaking records for deaths and infections nearly every day now. And I don't know if it's because of bad leadership, people not wanting to follow the mandates, or just that this virus is going to spread to everyone eventually anyway.

In addition Korea is doing well. China apparently is doing well but, frankly, I can't really trust anything they are saying.

But, yeah, East and Southeast Asia have seemed to manage the crisis fairly well, and, a considerably lot better than Europe and North America.

Zardnaar

Legend
If you had the money being stuck in Palau/Samoa/Vanuatu/Micronesia etc wouldn't be to bad. Cheap living costs just get drunk on a tropical island for the rest of 2020 kava optional. If you have seen the TV show Survivor the Covid free nation's are basically location shoots.

Kava is an aquired taste, not a fan personally.

Vietnam in the right spot wouldn't be to bad.

Last edited:

Meanwhile, in Florida...

It is probably fair to say that no one had high hopes for Florida. They are after all the capital of crazy.

But how do nearby states deal with this? Can a US state close their borders to another state?

ssvegeta555

Explorer
I think some might be better. IDK how good the testing is but yeah very few deaths.

Haven't looked for a few weeks though.

Vietnam.

Fewer cases than NZ, slightly more deaths vastly bigger population.

97 million people 0.4 deaths per million (NZ is 5).

1 million tests done.

Cambodia 15 million people 0 deaths from the look of it.

Vietnam also kept a British expat on life support linger than they would in the UK, he would have died back home.

Seems to fit the criteria of large mainland population and very few cases/deaths.
I know Vietnam tests a lot and are very quick to act. Granted, sometimes they go too overboard like quarantine an entire city block or hospitals with any cases or relation to a case. No one in, no one out for 14 days.

Regardless, testing and tracing is very good from what my fiancee has said (she lives in Ho Chi Minh City). When she flew up to Ha Noi for a business trip last month she got tested once at each airport and filled out forms for contact tracing info. Filled out a form at the hotel too.

Vietnam has recently opened up their international airports for foreign visitors but only from select countries that has handled the pandemic well like South Korea, Singapore, and Japan. But it could be for only Vietnamese citizens (or foreigners married to one) heading back home. I'm not quite sure. However when they exit the plane they have to wear full body protective suits, get tested and then head to quarantine. They get tested again after a few days and if both tests were negative after 5 days or so of quarantine they're free to enter. Seems a bit surreal to be honest.

Before their second wave in late July, they had less than a 100 cases all told and no deaths. Not sure on the exact numbers now, 1,000 I think, but they had a few deaths. The first death was big news over there. So far I believe they've been case free for a while.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
And, TBF, our body count is largely due to purely avoidable reasons, so those who are doing it right have some justification in looking down their noses at us.....

I would like to note the irony here.

Someone, trying to prevent a bit of harm, says, "Hey, maybe you should alter your behavior a bit." Sure, it is a minor inconvenience, but might avoid bad results for some.

And, rather than, "Okay, that's fair." We get rationalization and deflection?

Bit of the world writ small, and an interesting meta-text.

Last edited:

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Just curious if any mainland, continental country is really "out of it" yet? (Comparing isolated nations doesn't seem fair.) It seems like nations that handled it well at the beginning are all slipping back into the dangerous territory. My state here in the US was commended for doing excellent at the start, we eased the restrictions eventually, and we're breaking records for deaths and infections nearly every day now. And I don't know if it's because of bad leadership, people not wanting to follow the mandates, or just that this virus is going to spread to everyone eventually anyway.
If COVID can hang out in animals or on plants, we are kidding ourselves by pulling the FIRE alarm over every case. Modifying Merlin in Excalibur: "The virus is everywhere. The virus is on everything. " The question is more What can we do to make normal immune systems tough enough to stomp down the virus before it reaches contagious stage?

Remove ads