D&D and the rising pandemic

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
I don't think this was mentioned before:

So, the English vaccine not only caused some safety issues, it's possible it doesn't fully work.... Or he was in the placebo group.

Speaking of vaccines, have those of you in the Northern hemisphere taken this year's flu shot yet?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
So, the English vaccine not only caused some safety issues, it's possible it doesn't fully work.... Or he was in the placebo group.

No vaccine is 100% effective. And, the placebo group needs to be large enough to get a solid estimate of how many people who got the vaccine should have gotten sick. And, if nobody in the placebo gets sick, you cannot actually measure the effectiveness of the vaccine. Thus, the fate of one person in the trial tells you absolutely nothing about the real effectiveness.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Absolutely ... whether people take vaccine is in the top 5 long life correlations they have found. (exercise isn't even that high)
Getting it was a nightmare this year. It took us three attempts to find a place with it. The health ministry didn't plan properly. They had the same number of doses as last year, and neglected to consider more people would want to vaccinate this season because of the pandemic. This is just one of the many logistics problems they've had. I worry about the time there is an actual vaccine for corona, because our local equivalent of the FDA has been subsumed into another agency -essentially losing independence and budget-. Did I mention that agency is directed by a lawyer instead of a medical doctor? My biggest fear is they rubber stamping a poorly tested Russian or Chinese vaccine just to make the problem go away.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
The one I was following seemed safe enough they arent sure about whether it works "for real" or "for how long", but there were positive indications like inducing antibody response

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Assuming an effective, safe C19 vaccine can be made affordably, I’m not too concerned about the duration of its protection. I get 3 allergy injections every 2 weeks. It’s not a big deal if we needed annual or even monthly C19 boosters, IMHO.

And no, I do not like needles. I’ve been on that injection regimen for decades, and I still can’t look when it’s being done.

MarkB

Legend
Speaking of vaccines, have those of you in the Northern hemisphere taken this year's flu shot yet?
Yes, last Tuesday. I'm pleased to say that my local GP surgery had things well in hand. They contacted me with a selection of available dates for a walk-through vaccination service, provided a convenient appointment time and clear instructions - patients were to turn up wearing masks and with their arm bare ready for the jab.

When I arrived, I found that the whole thing was set up outdoors in their carpark. They'd used tape and bollards to mark out separate paths for the under 65s and over 65s vaccines, and the staff administering them were set up under gazebos. It was a simple round trip in and out, and I was one of only two patients going through at the time, the other coming in around 30 seconds after me.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases