D&D and the rising pandemic

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I've never gotten a flu shot because I'm young and strong and indestructible - and other folks need it more than me. Not bragging, I just expect that the corner drug store, chicken soup, and good sleep will keep me functional.
As I get older I can see that it is going to take more ... potent ... measures to keep me going, when I catch something.
This is the attitude that makes it harder to control diseases and pandemics. You may be willing to just rely on your own health and immune system, but is there any consideration for the people around you that you could potentially infect? People who may have to rely on herd immunity because they are more vulnerable than you?

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I'm not sure if I've ever had the flu. I've had heavy colds but not other flu symptoms so idk.

Me and the other half got the flu two years ago and it maimed the second half of a planned Christmas trip. Nothing but lying in bed feeling like death warmed over for half a week.

Part of it is that we visit a lot of older family on the trips too, so there's a second reason for getting one for us.

Last edited:

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
I've never gotten a flu shot because I'm young and strong and indestructible - and other folks need it more than me. Not bragging, I just expect that the corner drug store, chicken soup, and good sleep will keep me functional.
As I get older I can see that it is going to take more ... potent ... measures to keep me going, when I catch something.
Herd immunity is important. Some in my family are in vulnerable groups, so I vaccinate to keep them healthy. (I would probably vaccinate anyway since I have a history of respiratory disease. I used to have asthma-like attacks when I was younger)

Ryujin

Legend
In my 20s I thought I was literally going to die... it was horrific and not at all cold like. I usually get over things very quickly but sheesh., Most self diagnosed flu is actually mild food poisoning.
Many years back I was diagnosed with the Texas "A" Strain Flu. (H3N2 apparently) It was 2 weeks of being stuck in bed, pretty much unable to take care of myself, with symptoms that I won't share out of respect for everyone's lunch. Definitely not fun and I didn't feel right again for more than a month. Flu can be very serious business.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I'm not getting a flu vaccine this year. There's not really much of a reason to for my family. We've been staying home for months, almost never meeting with other people. The likelihood of us getting the flu this year is extremely unlikely, and even if we did, no one is overly vulnerable to the regular flu.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm not getting a flu vaccine this year. There's not really much of a reason to for my family. We've been staying home for months, almost never meeting with other people. The likelihood of us getting the flu this year is extremely unlikely, and even if we did, no one is overly vulnerable to the regular flu.

In terms of risk management, this is... not a wise way to think about it, either for your personal health, or the community at large.

The flu vaccine is cheap and safe. Both the flu and covid are generally common and easy to catch. And if you have one, the added risk to you from the other skyrockets.

Meanwhile, your current risk mitigation can be entirely breached by unforeseen circumstance, leaving you without any other defense. But once you've gotten the flu vaccine, that protection is yours for the season, and cannot be taken away.

Layered defense is far superior. Unless you are allergic, arguments that the flu vaccine isn't a good idea are hard to come by.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I’m don‘t remember if I posted this before:

Sweden has a secret weapon in the fight against C19 (and other diseases with similar spreading methods) hidden in their demographics: more than 50% of their households are single person. That means average Swedes are functionally quarantining themselves @1/3 of the day, regardless of whatever other safety measures they are taking.

MarkB

Legend
In terms of risk management, this is... not a wise way to think about it, either for your personal health, or the community at large.

The flu vaccine is cheap and safe. Both the flu and covid are generally common and easy to catch. And if you have one, the added risk to you from the other skyrockets.

Meanwhile, your current risk mitigation can be entirely breached by unforeseen circumstance, leaving you without any other defense. But once you've gotten the flu vaccine, that protection is yours for the season, and cannot be taken away.

Layered defense is far superior. Unless you are allergic, arguments that the flu vaccine isn't a good idea are hard to come by.
I resemble that. I've been isolating since March, and intend to do so until the situation improves, but I did get my flu vaccine as a precaution.

And then a day later, I tripped and fell, badly bruising my arm, and had to go to hospital this week for a precautionary x-ray.

And then my shower broke down and I'll have a plumber in tomorrow morning to replace it.

Life throws curve balls, and there's no telling when something will happen that makes a mockery of all your preparations.

cmad1977

Hero
Mod Note:

It turns out that Protonicmass here was an alt account for someone banned from the boards several times over. They'll not be continuing in this discussion, or any others. We advise you to not reply to their contributions.

Haha. Someone must have been particularly lonely and sad to make up an alt account.

Not sure how desperate for attention someone would have to be to go through all that effort but... thanks for cleaning up the riff raff.

ccs

41st lv DM

Well thats a foolish line of thinking.
I mean, at least one of you is venturing out to the grocery store.... guess what? So's everyone else. Even sick/unknowingly infected people.
All you need to do is come in contact with one & get unlucky.
Just wait until something around the house seriously breaks & you need a repairman. Whats he bringing besides tools???
Ok, so you & yours aren't in much danger of actual death-by-flu if you do catch it. But do you really want to lay about sick as dogs infecting each other?
Just go get your flu shot.

Remove ads