D&D and the rising pandemic

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Not “most”, just a sizable minority, too many of whom are in positions that amplify their utterances.
Yeah, I know. It just seems like most.

Of course, the virus doesn't care about the majority either. It only needs a handful of bad actors to spread, and even 1% is far more than enough (especially when they are spread out across such a large area, and largely unchecked, untracked, and untested.)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
FWIW, I was reading about similar anti-public health measures in the past. I was, of course, familiar with the parallels between our current situation and the 1918 flu.

Today, I learned that similar behavior occurred while the world was ramping up its fight against SMALLPOX.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Yeah, I know. It just seems like most.

Of course, the virus doesn't care about the majority either. It only needs a handful of bad actors to spread, and even 1% is far more than enough (especially when they are spread out across such a large area, and largely unchecked, untracked, and untested.)
You forgot unapologetically unconcerned.

FWIW, I was reading about similar anti-public health measures in the past. I was, of course, familiar with the parallels between our current situation and the 1918 flu.

Today, I learned that similar behavior occurred while the world was ramping up its fight against SMALLPOX.

To be fair, when the smallpox vaccine was created germ theory was still in it's infancy. Heck, homeopathy was once legitimately considered as an alternative to germ theory. Lots of details like sterilization, preservative chemicals, and proper storage were still being worked out; getting a vaccine was a bit riskier than it is today.

Nowadays, people are a lot more educated and have access to much better scientific resources. I mean, it's not like there are still companies selling "homeopathic medicine" based off of science that was proved wrong 150 years ago, right?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
To be fair, when the smallpox vaccine was created germ theory was still in it's infancy. Heck, homeopathy was once legitimately considered as an alternative to germ theory. Lots of details like sterilization, preservative chemicals, and proper storage were still being worked out; getting a vaccine was a bit riskier than it is today.

Nowadays, people are a lot more educated and have access to much better scientific resources. I mean, it's not like there are still companies selling "homeopathic medicine" based off of science that was proved wrong 150 years ago, right?
Did you catch the part where one of the most vocal and visible antivax activists at the time had been vaccinated for smallpox?
Published by a leading anti-vaccinationist, Dr. Alexander M. Ross, this pamphlet was widely circulated during the smallpox epidemic of 1885 in Montréal, as public health officials were seeking to increase vaccination coverage.
Ross seized on the opportunity of increased health measures to gain authority, notoriety and personal fame. He painted himself the hero of his own story, the "only doctor; who had dared to doubt the fetish" of vaccination. Despite this, it was discovered that he had been recently vaccinated during the epidemic, a fact that was gleefully reported by the major newspapers at the time.
The STONES on that guy!

briggart

Adventurer
At least this happened.
88276415_10157306546979195_8290723367451885568_o.jpg

I think they have since removed the tweet (this was back in March).

Remove ads