D&D and the rising pandemic

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Well, it appears that the other shoe has finally dropped in Japan. Skyrocketing infection rates, hospitals heading to being overwhelmed. This is what everyone has been bracing for for the past year. Here's to hoping.

The new, more infectious strain first seen in the UK?

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Bit of a rough start of the week for me. Got called at 2 in the middle of the night. Whenever you get a call like that, it can't be good news, and it wasn't. My dad had been rushed to the hospital and had to under go immediate surgery for a cerebral haemorrhage (bleeding in the brain). Apparently he was able to call the emergency number, so they got to him in time. Several horrible hours later me and my sister got word that the operation was a success.

Due to Corona however, visiting someone in the hospital is a bit different now. Only 1 visitor is allowed at a time, and you must be in good health (no cough) and be wearing a mask obviously. Due to all the hospitals being overloaded with covid patients now, he had to be relocated to a hospital in a different city, when second can be a matter of life and death. The hospitals also have to move entire departments around, just to keep covid patients separated.

I think I mentioned a while ago how covid can cause deaths among regular patients simply due to delays. I never thought I'd be thrown into just that kind of situation with a member of my family.

He is doing well though, so that's a relief. They got to him in time, and immediately got him into surgery. The hospital is specialized in neuro surgery, so that's a blessing.
I really want to give this post multiple emojis, ending with a thumbs-up.

Hope your dad recovers soon.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Tangential to the news about the pandemic, Moderna is trying to develop vaccines for Nipah, HIV and the seasonal flu using the mRNA technique.

Hussar

Legend
The new, more infectious strain first seen in the UK?
Ours apparently came from Brazil. But, no, it's more the fact that the government wanted business to get back into swing, brought out some travel incentives for domestic travel, and it blew up in their faces. They're reading the emergency powers acts for most of the country now. Not that that holds a lot of power in Japan - they can ask politely for people to stay home and that's about as far as it goes. Some prefectures are offering monetary incentives to businesses to close early. Nothing anywhere near as draconian as what we're seeing out of Canada right now.

And, yup, it can get strange:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Ours apparently came from Brazil. But, no, it's more the fact that the government wanted business to get back into swing, brought out some travel incentives for domestic travel, and it blew up in their faces.

Oof. My sympathies and empathy. My state, despite having had some of the worst initial outbreak, seemed to get a handle on it and now... we do not.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
An article published in the journal Science posits that- once enough adults have been exposed to C19 either via infection or vaccination- the virus will be endemic but ultimately no more problematic than its cold-causing cousins. They predict that it will be more like childhood diseases than a world stopper.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
An article published in the journal Science posits that- once enough adults have been exposed to C19 either via infection or vaccination- the virus will be endemic but ultimately no more problematic than its cold-causing cousins. They predict that it will be more like childhood diseases than a world stopper.

That posit seems based on the idea that we develop very long lasting immunity from either having it or vaccination. That'd be a great thing, but I don't think it is supported by data yet.

Remove ads