D&D and the rising pandemic

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Not getting vaccinated for religious or medical reasons would be protected, is any other reason?
If I suddenly decide my religion says I have to have my hair rainbow colored (this is what anti-vaxxers have done the equivalent of starting a new religion where they make that a feature) is firing me for having rainbow colored hair then firing for religious reasons?

Hussar

Legend
If I suddenly decide my religion says I have to have my hair rainbow colored (this is what anti-vaxxers have done the equivalent of starting a new religion where they make that a feature) is firing me for having rainbow colored hair then firing for religious reasons?
If you can prove in a court of law that your religion says that you have to have rainbow colored hair, then, yes, it would. Note, hair issues have come up in Canada before. See Baltej Singh Dhillon, for an example.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
While the SCOUTS has said it isn't there business to judge the sincerity of folks religious beliefs, no one quickly jumped to the defense in Cavanaugh v. Bartelt in Nebraska about Pastafarianism (and I'm really disappointed it didn't get pushed up higher to get SCOTUS to formally say some things aren't protected and the courts decide, or that everything is protected - especially since one of the birefs in Masterpiece Cakeshop cited it).

Ryujin

Legend
If you can prove in a court of law that your religion says that you have to have rainbow colored hair, then, yes, it would. Note, hair issues have come up in Canada before. See Baltej Singh Dhillon, for an example.

Just make sure that you skip his more recent escapades and only look at the news stories from the late '80s. The newer reports on him have nothing to do with the turban issue.

Zardnaar

Legend

Religion here is specifically covered by laws preventing discrimination.

Easiest get around is health and safety rules.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I don’t think it is too different from any other safety requirement. A builder who refused to wear a hard hat on a demolition site shouldn’t be permitted on the site. A worker dealing with the public who is not vaccinated should not be dealing with the public. If neither are able to do their job, then neither should be expected to retain that job.
If the worker got immunity the natural way (caught the virus and kicked it) then that worker need not be vaccinated. Give the employee a Corona-antibody test to make sure. If they are full of antibodies, get off their back.

Mikeythorn

Explorer
If the worker got immunity the natural way (caught the virus and kicked it) then that worker need not be vaccinated. Give the employee a Corona-antibody test to make sure. If they are full of antibodies, get off their back.
That seems reasonable in most circumstances. The original case being talked about originated in New Zealand though, so that case almost certainly could not be made by the sacked workers.

Zardnaar

Legend
It's kind of hard to get fired here. Generally theft and assault will do it, or whatever else the the employee defines as serious misconduct in the contract.

Certain categories the employer can't opt out of eg gender, sexuality, politics, religion.

Easiest way is to fire someone is health and safety so the vaccine can be treated as safety equipment.

The government can't force you to take the vaccine, neither can your employer.

You can't force your employer to retain you if you don't follow the rules.

Hussar

Legend
You can't force your employer to retain you if you don't follow the rules.
That, again, is a sticky, sticky issue. Particularly if it is actually a religious issue. Like NZ, it's hard to get fired in Canada. And, let's be honest here, in an organization as large as border guards, there surely must be desk jobs that aren't regularly facing the public where the mask mandate is not as much of an issue. I doubt this is quite as cut and dried as you're making it out to be.

Zardnaar

Legend
That, again, is a sticky, sticky issue. Particularly if it is actually a religious issue. Like NZ, it's hard to get fired in Canada. And, let's be honest here, in an organization as large as border guards, there surely must be desk jobs that aren't regularly facing the public where the mask mandate is not as much of an issue. I doubt this is quite as cut and dried as you're making it out to be.

Religion is covered by employment law.

Things not specifically covered the employer can put in the contract and they can easy require the vaccine as part of the job requirements.

My wife's aunt got vaccinated today and it's essentially mandatory for her (or find a new job). She works in an old folks home.

Much like free speech the government can't muzzle you but your boss can. I can walk down the street in a Nazi uniform bit I can't refuse to wear the uniform at McDonald's.

At least without going through the disciplinary process. I can get kicked off a job site for not wearing hi vis vest or steelcap boots.

Bill if Rights covers refusing a vaccine but they can amend that easy enough, make exceptions if required and in any event it doesn't cover employment law.

Simple act of parliament could also revoke that law if required. They just need a simple majority and they have that winning an outright majority last year due to Covid response basically.

Reading the article I posted they can dispute the firing bit they're still gone at best they get a payout and you can't really sue here. Well you can but even if you win you're not going to make megabucks and you still have no job.

Last edited:

Remove ads