D&D and the rising pandemic

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
While I approve of the move to fire folks that refuse to get vaccinated, there's no way that any politician is going to try to make this a law. It is a pretty hefty violation of rights, regardless of how justified, and sets a really, really scary precedence.

I mean, if I can fire you for not getting a medical treatment, where does that end?

You cannot fire me for not getting a medical treatment. You can (and should) fire me if I am willfully a health threat to my coworkers and customers.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
If the worker got immunity the natural way (caught the virus and kicked it) then that worker need not be vaccinated. Give the employee a Corona-antibody test to make sure. If they are full of antibodies, get off their back.
From all I have read we arent even sure whether the "natural way" really works for generating immunity (though it most likely will)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
If the worker got immunity the natural way (caught the virus and kicked it) then that worker need not be vaccinated.

It isn't that simple, especially as variants begin to crop up. Current CDC advice is that those who have had the disease should still be vaccinated.

Give the employee a Corona-antibody test to make sure. If they are full of antibodies, get off their back.

The antibody tests we have do not measure, gauge, or otherwise indicate immunity.

Ryujin

Legend
I thought of starting a new thread for this question, but it didn't seem right when this one already existed. How is everyone maintaining their sanity, more than a year into this mess? What hobbies have you been practicing? Have you been making use of online gaming tools? Other things?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I thought of starting a new thread for this question, but it didn't seem right when this one already existed. How is everyone maintaining their sanity, more than a year into this mess? What hobbies have you been practicing? Have you been making use of online gaming tools? Other things?

Before covid, I was running my usual game (a campaign whose end coincidentally aligned with lockdowns anyway), and playing in on D&D game.

Now, I'm playing in 3 D&D games and one Fate Accelerated game online, and I'm not running anything. Roll20, Owlbear Rodeo, Discord and Zoom (in various combinations) have been the toolsets of choice.

My household income has been pretty secure in all this, so I have spread some money around to smaller game companies, picking up sets of rules and absorbing them for possible post-covid use.

Ryujin

Legend
Before covid, I was running my usual game (a campaign whose end coincidentally aligned with lockdowns anyway), and playing in on D&D game.

Now, I'm playing in 3 D&D games and one Fate Accelerated game online, and I'm not running anything. Roll20, Owlbear Rodeo, Discord and Zoom (in various combinations) have been the toolsets of choice.

My household income has been pretty secure in all this, so I have spread some money around to smaller game companies, picking up sets of rules and absorbing them for possible post-covid use.
That's the sort of thing that I've been wondering about: Does the current world situation mean that it's easier to game, online, than it was to try and get the group together physically? Despite having many of the resources that you mention (Discord, Roll20, Fantasy Grounds/FGUnity), I've not been playing. I have, however, picked up a few rule sets to play around with, most notably the second edition of Demon Hunters and the new releases of TORG, both of which are pretty cinematic in style, though in markedly different ways.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
That's the sort of thing that I've been wondering about: Does the current world situation mean that it's easier to game, online, than it was to try and get the group together physically?

Not in my experience. In the past, the one game I ran and the one I played in ran pretty reliably. Now, I am plying in four games, but none of them are as reliable as my in-person games were. I think I wind up in, on average, about the same number of sessions per week actually running.

MarkB

Legend
I've always been a bit of a loner, stay at home for most of my holiday time, and don't have much in the way of friends outside our local gaming groups. I've had a couple of downer days, but for the most part it's been
images

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
You cannot fire me for not getting a medical treatment. You can (and should) fire me if I am willfully a health threat to my coworkers and customers.
I'm pretty sure employers don't have to employ anyone who hasn't gotten the vaccine. Medical procedure is not a protected status. The issue is that with HIPAA, they can't require employees to tell them if they've gotten the vaccine or not, so they would have no way of knowing.

And then there are places like this cropping up now. :(

Ryujin

Legend
I've always been a bit of a loner, stay at home for most of my holiday time, and don't have much in the way of friends outside our local gaming groups. I've had a couple of downer days, but for the most part it's been
images
I get the loner thing. I'm pretty introverted. It's easier to talk to people who are a continent away, than who are in easy driving distance. Might be why I have so many friends on the west coast of the US, when I live in Toronto :ROFLMAO:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases