D&D and the rising pandemic

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Reads like a Survivor TV show location guide. They don't really have the facilities to deal with Covid and some places like French Polynesia, Guam and Hawaii got hit hard.

Hawaii got hit hard?

The US, as a whole, has had about 33 million cases, 587,000 deaths in a population of about 328 million people. About 10% of the population has had covid, and about 0.2% of the poopulation has died.

Hawaii has had 34,247 cases, in a population of about 1.4 million people. About 2% of their population has had covid. And they've had all of 489 deaths - or 0.03%. Their case and death rates are much lower than what we've seen elsewhere.

So, statistically with the disease, Hawaii has done well compared to the rest of the country. The economic impact, however, may be more notable.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Hawaii got hit hard?

The US, as a whole, has had about 33 million cases, 587,000 deaths in a population of about 328 million people. About 10% of the population has had covid, and about 0.2% of the poopulation has died.

Hawaii has had 34,247 cases, in a population of about 1.4 million people. About 2% of their population has had covid. And they've had all of 489 deaths - or 0.03%. Their case and death rates are much lower than what we've seen elsewhere.

So, statistically with the disease, Hawaii has done well compared to the rest of the country. The economic impact, however, may be more notable.
I suspect the comment was in regards to their tourist industry- a major driving economic factor for all of those places.

Zardnaar

Legend
Relative to other Pacific island areas proportionally Hawaii was hit hard relative to the Covid free nation that never got it or NZ that eliminated it. The Covid free ones closed the borders.

They're all reliant on tourism (Samoa, Palau Hawaii, French Polynesia).

The smaller nations don't really have the facilities to deal with Covid, NZ/Hawaii.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Relative to other Pacific island areas proportionally Hawaii was hit hard relative to the Covid free nation that never got it or NZ that eliminated it.

That just means you don't really know what "hard" is in the medical sense. The US, on average, had five to ten times more deaths per capita than Hawaii. Hawaii, to my understanding, didn't have their hospitals overwhelmed. Only 492 people died. They didn't need to bring in refrigerated trucks to act as temporary storage for the dead. And right now, India's doing even worse.

Heck, my county which has a population of 1.6 million (just a bit more than the state of Hawaii, had 7 times more deaths than Hawaii.

So, medically, no Hawaii didn't get hit hard, thank goodness. To suggest they did is disrespect to those who are having it far, far worse.

Economically, yeah, this was surely a blow to the state.

Zardnaar

Legend
That just means you don't really know what "hard" is in the medical sense. The US, on average, had five to ten times more deaths per capita than Hawaii. Hawaii, to my understanding, didn't have their hospitals overwhelmed. Only 492 people died. They didn't need to bring in refrigerated trucks to act as temporary storage for the dead. And right now, India's doing even worse.

Heck, my county which has a population of 1.6 million (just a bit more than the state of Hawaii, had 7 times more deaths than Hawaii.

So, medically, no Hawaii didn't get hit hard, thank goodness. To suggest they did is disrespect to those who are having it far, far worse.

Economically, yeah, this was surely a blow to the state.

It's relative though. Small places like Guam have had more cases than my country.

Basically can compare case numbers in the various pacific islands with other Pacific islands.

Relative to French Polynesia/Hawaii/Guam the other places had 0 deaths, 0 cases in some instances.

494 is over double what an earthquake here killed (pop 5 million vs 2.7) and around half of what Australia lost (population 25 million). That Earthquake proportionaly killed more people than 9/11.

It might not be much compared to mainland USA but it's not close to normal.

Hussar

Legend
Hawaii got hit hard?

To be fair, being hit less hard than the mainland of the United States isn't exactly anything to brag about. LOTS of places were less effected than the US. "Hit less hard than the US" is a very low bar.

It's annoying too. So many of my friends and family back in Canada are looking at how the US is now starting to open up and are demanding that we do the same, even though we haven't had the vaccination rates that the US has had, are still having very high infection rates in some areas and STILL have people refusing to take proper precautions. It's really a recipe for disaster.

I think if I were Canada, I'd wait a few weeks after the US starts relaxing restrictions to see if they were right or not before I'd start relaxing north of the border.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
People out there are reviving the false claim that HIPPA prevents anyone from asking about your medical history, including vaccination status. This was false then, and is still so today. They can’t FORCE you to reveal that information, but they can exclude you from the premises if you do not.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
And in other cheery news...

According to this article, a canine coronavirus is currentl being found in a certain percentage of pneumonia patients the doctors examined. They cannot say at this time of the virus is actually causing the pneumonia- which would make it the 8th coronavirus to affect humans- or if it’s presence is coincidental. They also point out that they do not know how the patients carrying this virus got infected, but believe they have NOT gotten it from other humans. IOW, they suspect that- for now- it is strictly jumping from infected canines to vulnerable humans.

They also noted that there is a mutation in this virus similar to ones found in SARS, MERS, and COVID which may be key in better suiting it to survive in humans.

Remove ads