D&D and the rising pandemic

ccs

41st lv DM
Nice.

No surprise travel bubble hasn't done much for tourism.

People don't travel as much it seems even if they can.

Usually an over priced tourist trap. Now just overpriced.
So all those adds for NZ travel I see on TV aren't working?

I stream all the CW Arrowverse superhero shows as one big 3-4hr block each week from their site. It's free, but comes with adds. I see NZ travel commercials at least once/episode, & often several.

Zardnaar

Legend
So all those adds for NZ travel I see on TV aren't working?

I stream all the CW Arrowverse superhero shows as one big 3-4hr block each week from their site. It's free, but comes with adds. I see NZ travel commercials at least once/episode, & often several.

Apparently not. Think we get the same ads on YouTube. That and Rarotonga ads. Tourism getting it rough but a counter argument has been that it's productivity is so low that you're better off doing anything else. And traveling NZers spend more money elsewhere.

Tourism's getting it rough but overall economy is growing. Shrugs.

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
One of the reasons you try to reach “herd immunity” is to protect[/URL]
Sure, except any country where a third of people listens to politicians that are either too ignorant, too stupid, too greedy or just too arrogant to take the pandemic seriously and actively tell people to get vaccinated will never reach herd immunity...

...know any such countries...?

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Find that hard to believe. We're at >50% with 1st dose and ~26% already fully done.

If there's no doctor there should be a central vaccination centre within 100km
We are at 48/23%. However, it is unclear who those vaccinated people are - they must be mostly old, sicker than me, needed personnel or tricked their way to the front line. Or maybe it works better in cities. It does not help to have a vaccination center when they don't get enough doses. We have been waiting for along time, when we should have been done weeks ago due to our priority status. My doc is still working her way throughj old and sick people not able to get to the center.

Finally,we got our first doses yesterday morning, as a surprise drop-in because others could not make it due to the heat. The center could do at least twice times as many people, if they had enough material. Most of the cabins didn't get use.

Mirtek

Hero
We are at 48/23%. However, it is unclear who those vaccinated people are
As of the 18th we're at 50.1/29.6 and it's exactly known who each of those people is. The RKI monitors and publishes daily.

Group 3 was opened start of May because the number of group 2 still un-vaccinated was too neglible to justify holding back group 3. It's now free for all since two weeks as the number of group 3 still un-vaccinated was too neglible to justify upholding any kind priorisation order anymore.

You must be facing a very localized issue. Are you by chance in Sachsen? They're at last spot with 44.7/29.8 which must be due to an usual high rate of people not being interested.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Too neglible? Of my very substancial wider family, by today it is only the older ones, me and 2 cousins who got vaccinated, and the older part of us are mostly group 2.

We are in RLP. The rest of my family is in Sachsen, SH and BW.

The RKI knows but I don't. We were among the first to register. We are among the last in group 2 to receive a shot it feels. So I wonder why this is, the people at the center couldn't answer.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
There's another component to this: taxes. If the scholarship is set up properly, it is likely that the winner would not have to pay taxes on it. Everyone that wins the money, however, will owe a large chunk of that prize to the government. This is another reason why winning a $300k scholarship is potentially better than winning $1M cash.
Lottery winnings are taxed like regular income (hourly wages). The winners are going to get a special one-time visit to the top tax bracket. It would be a good idea if they put the money in the bank until next April 15th, in case the IRS decides they owe another big dollop.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Besides studying lotteries & the like, I’ve actually had some people close to me experience major windfalls. I’ve learned there’s all kinds of things you SHOULD do if you experience a major windfall, but most people don’t.

Besides accounting for taxes, you should divide the “fortune” into distinct pools: some for fun, some for necessities, some for investment, and if it’s your nature, some for charities. (Which, if possible, should be distributed directly to the charity to avoid taxation issues.)

Remove ads