D&D and the rising pandemic

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
My family is still working on getting one of my cousins vaccinated, He’s not exactly anti-vax, nor is he a conspiracy nut, but his distrustful attitude towards white America is just shy of paranoid.

Zardnaar

Legend
My family is still working on getting one of my cousins vaccinated, He’s not exactly anti-vax, nor is he a conspiracy nut, but his distrustful attitude towards white America is just shy of paranoid.

They've had similar thing here in Auckland and the lowest vax rates in the country (not Auckland). They're "only" something like 74% vaxxed. Best areas are 90% double vax and 95% single.

Asians are something like 95/98%.

Vaccine passports went up today system overloaded. I'll wait a day or two for the paperwork online.

They're QR codes linked to the DHB databases so yeah have fun forging that.

Vaccine mandates also took effect from Monday. Last minute rush from the get vaxxed or no job lot. They lost a few teachers but don't know the exact numbers yet 1-3% perhaps.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
There's loads of things that are different between dogs and cats and humans. This is why many of the things in your medicine cabinet are toxic to Rover and Fluffy, and why there aren't many diseases your animals can get that they can share with you, and vice versa.
Or heck, even just plain ole chocolate or grapes.

Ryujin

Legend
1309/80000 staff stood down due to vaccine mandates in the health sector.

470 of them were nurses (30k total). They're not fired yet but are on that path. Maybe a few thought the government would blink. They didn't.
Wish that the government of Ontario, Canada hadn't blinked. We need to be vaxxed to walk into a restaurant, but health care workers don't need to be in order to walk into a hospital?!

Zardnaar

Legend
Wish that the government of Ontario, Canada hadn't blinked. We need to be vaxxed to walk into a restaurant, but health care workers don't need to be in order to walk into a hospital?!

Well theyay pay a price later but they've got two years to next election and the pattern should hold.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

I can't say I'd blame him.

Hopefully he'll get the point that this isn't a white America thing - seven billion doses of vaccines have been given, and 3.2 billion people are now fully vaccinated worldwide.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I can't say I'd blame him.

Hopefully he'll get the point that this isn't a white America thing - seven billion doses of vaccines have been given, and 3.2 billion people are now fully vaccinated worldwide.

I thought I understood the why of folks not wanting to get a treatment because the government/politicians/business folks said to and they don't trust them for well justified reasons with a long history. But I'm stuck on how the fact that all of the people doing the telling lined up to get the treatment first, and that all groups on the country are pretty much being told to get it, doesn't change the dynamic.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I thought I understood the why of folks not wanting to get a treatment because the government/politicians/business folks said to and they don't trust them for well justified reasons with a long history. But I'm stuck on how the fact that all of the people doing the telling lined up to get the treatment first, and that all groups on the country are pretty much being told to get it, doesn't change the dynamic.
Think of it like the poison goblet/glass gambit: just because THEY took a sip doesn’t mean you’re getting the same stuff. Or that they’re not protected some other way.

But even with that, my Dad (and all of us) are vaxxed & boosted with Pfizer or Moderna. (And Dad came out of a program designed by Fauci…as one of the top students, might I add). His current GF and her daughter are at increased risk.

And STILL, my cousin balks.

Ryujin

Legend
There are historical reasons for this distrust that we can't really go into on this forum, because of the rules. The distrust is warranted specifically because of what @Dannyalcatraz mentioned, above.

Remove ads