D&D and the rising pandemic

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
There is a very high correlation between longer life spans and getting the flu vaccine. (correlation != causation but... in this case there is some established causative components).
I didn't know that, but it makes intuitive sense.
I'll get my flu shot next week after the holiday. Family's not doing any get-togethers and I've got zero intention of going out into the shopping crowds, so I'm not too worried about it.

(And to be honest, I'll take flu over a cold any day. Ugh, I hate colds. Now that's the seasonal shot I hope gets developed soon!)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Given that dead people can't get it anymore it kind of makes sense there'd be a correlation between the number of years someone got the flu vaccine and how long they lived ;-)

In other news, it's trending up again :.-(

View attachment 147220
Despite our bishop declaring an end to the attendance dispensation effective post-Christmas, my (immunologist) father has declared he’s not going back if the upward trend continues. Mom will likely follow his lead, and I’m not going to be the loner on this.

Faith is a big thing for us. The man was literally an altar boy. His father was (briefly) in seminary school. Mom walked to & from church as a young teen when her mom lapsed. We have clergy in the family- mostly nuns.

So for them to disagree with a bishop on this is, to me, pretty telling.

Last edited:

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
NH has more than doubled our case positivity rate again over the last month, from around 4% to 9.4% now, which is higher than it's been at any time during the entire pandemic.

My hospital has been basically at capacity and intermittently in Divert status (telling ambulances to go elsewhere) for the last week or two.

I've resumed wearing a mask at the gym, and never stopped in stores and other public indoor spaces.

Attachments

• 11_24_21_All Staff Update.jpg
    11_24_21_All Staff Update.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
There is a very high correlation between longer life spans and getting the flu vaccine. (correlation != causation but... in this case there is some established causative components).

Getting flu vaccines likely also correlates with better access to and utilization of preventative healthcare - as in people who get flu vaccines probably more likely get yearly checkups and stuff.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Massachusetts. I suspect the demand for boosters will be pretty brisk.

I'll find one somewhere. It'll just take a bit of effort.

There's a silver lining - my wife had gotten knocked pretty hard by her booster, and while she very much wants me fully vaccinated, she is also depending on me to do the Thanksgiving shopping this weekend, and was concerned that if I got floored by it, the plans would end up higgledy-piggledey.

Not that I'd had a terribly strong reaction to the first two - sore arm and needed a nap. But, you know, when there is a plan, there's worry.
My first shot was sore arm and oddly enough, a surge of energy. The second shot was just a sore arm. The booster, though, gave me a sore arm, some slight nausea and a general out of sorts feeling for the first day.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
My first shot was sore arm and oddly enough, a surge of energy. The second shot was just a sore arm. The booster, though, gave me a sore arm, some slight nausea and a general out of sorts feeling for the first day.

Which all amounts to, who the heck knows how it'll go?

After the cancellation of my booster, I have a new one scheduled in a week and a half, along with a flu shot.

Mirtek

Hero
Getting my booster on the 18th.

I am hoping for Moderna to complement my two doses of Pfizer, but ultimately I have to take what will be in the week that I am scheduled.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Sounds like EU is going to be blocking flights from South Africa. If not already, then soon.
America should as well, but Fauci says we will be examining info on it first. The problem with that is that by the time we finish examining the information on it, if we need to shut down it will be too late. For new variants travel should be shut down immediately, and then study to see when we should reopen the travel.

Remove ads