D&D and the rising pandemic

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
I kn after getting my sibs to weigh in, asking friends for help, and looking online for advice, I'm getting to my wits end. So...

Any suggestions how to this is frustrating, so if anyone has advice or similar experience, I'm all ears.

Last edited:

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I know this isn't the best place for this, but after getting my sibs to weigh in, asking friends for help, and looking online for advice, I'm getting to my wits end. So...

Any suggestions how to get my mother to go to the doctor? She's 70-ish, had a cough for nearly a week, and it doesn't seem to be getting better... but she's refusing to visit a clinic. She's never been shy about going to the doctor, so this is unusual. She and my father are both covid anti-vaxxers (and only covid anti-vaxxers), so I strongly suspect her intransigence arises from a potential collision between her, umm, politics and medical reality.
I'll never bring that up, of course; and I haven't even said the word "covid", in fact. And we've been light-touch on this so far, since I know pushing too hard usually just makes people more stubborn.
But this is frustrating, so if anyone has advice or similar experience, I'm all ears.

Not used as an excuse in a case like yours, but based on a true story...

"A friend online was talking about how their spouse and kid's reflux were making them all coughy the last few weeks and that starting to take the prescription they had again helped a lot. If that's it, and not just an annoying cold, a doc might be able to clear it up."

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
I know this isn't the best place for this, but after getting my sibs to weigh in, asking friends for help, and looking online for advice, I'm getting to my wits end. So...

Any suggestions how to get my mother to go to the doctor? She's 70-ish, had a cough for nearly a week, and it doesn't seem to be getting better... but she's refusing to visit a clinic. She's never been shy about going to the doctor, so this is unusual. She and my father are both covid anti-vaxxers (and only covid anti-vaxxers), so I strongly suspect her intransigence arises from a potential collision between her, umm, politics and medical reality.
I'll never bring that up, of course; and I haven't even said the word "covid", in fact. And we've been light-touch on this so far, since I know pushing too hard usually just makes people more stubborn.
But this is frustrating, so if anyone has advice or similar experience, I'm all ears.
"Do you know how many seniors suffer serious bouts of pneumonia? It can kill you, or make you need an oxygen tank for the rest of your life."

And the big guns; the internet: Elderly Pneumonia: Symptoms, Causes, Treatment & Prevention

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Thanks for the replies. I've tried relating my own experiences, like "I've had a couple bouts of bronchitis last for weeks, and it was gone within a week when I got antibiotics from the doc." Meanwhile, trying to avoid guilt or fear as motivators. But no dice, yet.

I honestly think she's afraid it's covid-- not because it's a dangerous illness, but because that would be an "inconvenient" development. Getting past that hurdle is really what's tripping me up; if it was a rash or eye problem or something, she'd have no complaint about seeing a doctor.

Oh well, I'll keep at it.
Thanks again.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Thanks for the replies. I've tried relating my own experiences, like "I've had a couple bouts of bronchitis last for weeks, and it was gone within a week when I got antibiotics from the doc." Meanwhile, trying to avoid guilt or fear as motivators. But no dice, yet.

I honestly think she's afraid it's covid-- not because it's a dangerous illness, but because that would be an "inconvenient" development. Getting past that hurdle is really what's tripping me up; if it was a rash or eye problem or something, she'd have no complaint about seeing a doctor.

Oh well, I'll keep at it.
Thanks again.

If it was my dad and it was needed, I'd try bawking like a chicken at him when he said no, just to goad him into it, and then bet him something it was COVID and that he was scared to prove me wrong. Can't see that ever working with my mom.

Hope whatever it is clears up on its own quickly!

Tamlyn

Explorer

Like @Ryujin mentioned it could be pneumonia, which can be pretty scary by itself.

From personal experience, my whole family and I got Covid and no one had a cough. Except for me. I had a nasty, wracking cough that we got checked, discovered it was pneumonia, and needed steroids to get cleared up. So, I'd say you're concerned it's pneumonia and continue to not mention that other thing.

Besides, if it's pneumonia (or Covid) better to identify it and treat it before it becomes a big deal. Her opinion on the vaccine doesn't really matter at this point - you're not trying to get her jabbed. She just needs to make sure that cough isn't a sign of something serious.

GreyLord

Legend

Don't tell her it's about Covid. Instead tell her that it sounds as if her cough is really bad and that you are afraid she may have gotten the recent RSV (like a cold, not Covid, and you can explain it is explicitly NOT Covid) that has been going around. You are concerned as it can affect older adults adversely and it's been spreading really quickly among young children even and doing more harm to the kids than Covid recently. That you'd like her to get it checked out just in case, as the sooner they see her the easier it is to treat and such.

Not sure if that would help, but as you are approaching it from an angle that it is NOT Covid, but something else may help prompt her to seek out help.

PS: The above is true, there is an RSV that's been going around among kids recently that can also cause Pneumonia. Normally it is mild, but occasionally can spark into something worse, especially among young kids or the elderly. Covid has been in the headlines, but the RSV has been rather prevalent recently. So, you are actually telling the truth, even if it could also have a Covid test while at the doctor's as well and treat it also if that's what pops up.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
If it were my mother I wouldn't count out any tactic. Her life is more important than whether I guilted or scared her into it and Covid can turn ugly very quickly.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases